Thread: Correct thickness of plywood in a desk

Correct thickness of plywood in a desk

Just wanting to post a question.

How thick should the plywood be in the frame and panel construction of a desk?

1/4" seems too flimsy but would help reduce weight significantly

1/2" seems just right but maybe too heavy

3/4" seems too heavy but would be rock solid

your input is appreciated.

V/R

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Barr; 10-22-2007 at 6:34 PM.

If you need/want the panels to be stronger "structurally", then go with the 1/2", making the back of the plywood flush with the inside. That also gives you a little more material for things like drawer slides, etc., if, for some reason, you need to have them in the panel, too. (Be really careful pre-drilling and be sure your fastener length will not penetrate the surface...obvious advise, but..."stuff happens") I don't think that weight is going to be a major factor with a desk unless it's something you plan on moving around a lot for some reason...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

in the panel? 1/4" is usually plenty.

Some go with 1/2" - but as a new woodworker, it's very easy to over engineer. 1/4" is more than enough unless you're mounting stuff to that panel and need it to be a part of the structure.

For the frame? 3/4's probably most common, but then you've got edges to hide. Most folks build their panels out of 3/4" solid hardwood (or 7/8" or more) and stick 1/4" plywood (or solid) panels in 'em. You can go 1/2", but it won't really add much.

The panel in a frame & panel construction isn't structural at all so it doesn't need to be very strong.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Thanks,

I was just worried about someone kicking or putting thier feet on the front panel. 1/4" might not hold up that well with rought treatment.

v/r

dan

I'm always surprised by the strength of things compared to what my perception is. a fully captured 1/4" panel is pretty dang tough, even with teenagers throwing hissie fits. The smaller the panel, the stronger, too. A big 3' x 3' panel would probably flex enough to pop right outta the frame, but even that would take some doing. Anything smaller and you'll have a pretty tough panel.

Like I said, it's real easy to get caught up in over-engineering, especially if you're working with a material that's new to you. I'm always surprised how strong stuff is... 1/4" ply has been a pretty common standard in furniture and built-ins. Desks, bookcases, armoirs, all sorts of stuff use it and survive decades or more. To keep my own over-engineering bug in check, i try to look for the time-tested designs as a guide.

Then again ... if you have unusual needs, by all means, build the thing like a tank!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Here's the idea.

I'm building a desk for a client and He's leaning towards the heavier options. fine by me. I would like to be able to present a few cost saving options to him though.

the side panels will be about 24" x 23" enclosed in 2 1/2" x 2 1/2 legs and rails. the front panel will be 5'4" x 24" and that is the one im mainly worried about. 1/4" will bend a little too much, so im thinking 1/2" minimum.

Also, drawers will be attached to the side panels and top surface from the bottom. I'm going with 11/16" ply for the top and am inclined to go with 3/4" on the sides for the drawer support.

Just brainstorming,

v/r

dan