Thread: Kitchen Pantry Cabinets

Kitchen Pantry Cabinets

I am in the process of designing new kitchen cabinets that I will be building for my own home and would be interested in seeing some plans for Pantry cabinets. I have never built a pantry cabinet, but have built a number of kitchen cabinets as well as entertainment centers. Does anyone have a good plan for a pantry cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bouthiette View Post
    I am in the process of designing new kitchen cabinets that I will be building for my own home and would be interested in seeing some plans for Pantry cabinets. I have never built a pantry cabinet, but have built a number of kitchen cabinets as well as entertainment centers. Does anyone have a good plan for a pantry cabinet?
    John, I'm also interested in building a pantry cabinet. Can you give some specifics - size, primarily for food storage, slide out storage, door storage, etc. ??

You may try posting the question with more specifics in the design or general woodworking forum, not much traffic here.

Thanks for donating and welcome.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry James; 12-23-2007 at 2:04 PM. Reason: thanks/welcome

How much room are you looking at , width , depth , & height?

What style cabinet , face frame , euro , the new "Johnny Gray/ furinture " look?

Pull outs are nice a short-ish wood draw sort of a sea rail idea , generally on stand offs to clear hinged doors .

Some folks like to hang shelf off the back of the door, a stout hinges will need to be used if so.

All those are player in starting a design IMO. At least from a builders view point.

More information...

Hi, thanks for the replies. I will try to provide a little better information here.

I am looking at building a free standing pantry cabinet, 36" wide by 18" deep by 84" tall. Since I am designing it, I would like to put two full width drawers on the bottom and the pantry portion would be on top.

My initial thoughts on the pantry design are 8 inch deep shelves in the rear of the cabinet across the full width, and shelves mounted to the inside of the doors.

I am really looking for design ideas, I did find a simple counter top design , but would like some more ideas!

Thanks in advance;

- John

Woodworking is my ticket to sanity!

Smile Thanks for the photos!

Paul,

Thanks for posting the photos. Very nice work!

These will definitely give me some design ideas to work from. The cabinet is very similar to what I would like to design, but my wife is not too fond of the pullouts.

Thanks again!

- John

No plans per se but a pic of one that I built for my kitchen project and a link to more. Dimensions are roughly the same as yours, maybe a little bigger. One thing to watch on the height is to allow yourself enough room to stand it up in the room. Udo Schmidt has a formula for max height of the cabinet given the ceiling height.

pantry_small.JPG

Here is a link to the original thread showing the pantry almost finished and in-situ.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50336

Hope this helps.

Great Stuff

Larry,

Thanks for posting the picture, it certainly helps my thinking. I started working on a sketckup of the cabinet and will post it here when I get it done, to hopefully get some more ideas!

Thanks again!
    - John

Did you know SMC is user supported? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php Please help.

Initial design

Here is my initial basic design for the outside of the cabinet. I am still toying with a number of ideas. I am new to Sketchup and hopefully will get better drawings as I go forward. This one is my first attempt in sketchup
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - John

Did you know SMC is user supported? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php Please help.

I can't open that file , maybe because I not a "contributor" ? I get a forum notice saying for "some reason bla bla bla you can't / are not Bla bla bla ."

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    I can't open that file , maybe because I not a "contributor"
    Correct. See the Sticky at the top of this forum. A mere $6 bucks will give you access to attachments in this forum, the ability to post in the Free Classifieds and access to a number of new features soon to be added to SMC as well as not seeing the advertising that will soon be visible to non-contributors. The link in my signature will help you through this.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Bouthiette View Post
    Here is my initial basic design for the outside of the cabinet. I am still toying with a number of ideas. I am new to Sketchup and hopefully will get better drawings as I go forward. This one is my first attempt in sketchup
    Here is my version of "the Pantry." Needs work, but has been good practice for me, a SkecthUp beginner also. There should be shelves inside, face frame, drawer boxes, dados, etc. The door storage is not to cool, but conceptual.

Larry J.
    pantry-V4.skp

Pantry

Larry,

Thanks for posting your drawing, it certainly helps me keep my thinking moving in a good direction. You do have the idea of what I am looking for, so I will expand upon your & my drawings and see what comes out of it.

Thanks again,
    - John

Cool!
    BTW, you can turn it into a jpg file so viewers don't need to use SketchUp to look at it by File / Export / 2D

jpg file

Thanks Doug, here is the jpg view
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - John