Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem receiving emails sent from SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hempleman View Post
    Dave F.
    I sent you a test message through both SMC's email system and the PM system. Let me know through this forum if you receive either one of them. I think I may be shooting blanks from this end.
    Tom - I got your PM. I did NOT get an email from you. It sounds like you have the same email issue that I have - I cannot receive any emails from SMC. Therefore when I send an SMC email to someone that cannot receive SMC emails, I do not get the error message back that says the email failed. Sort of a black hole. I'm convinced the issue is with SMC. Try asking someone that can send and receive SMC emails to try sending you one. That person will get an error email, like the one Scott Donley posted, above. I have gotten a report of the exact same error condition from at least three senders. You can compare your error condition to mine and report that to Keith or Aaron. Perhaps many voices singing the same song will help to get it resolved.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 11-24-2007 at 10:45 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hempleman View Post
    Dave F.
    I sent you a test message through both SMC's email system and the PM system. Let me know through this forum if you receive either one of them. I think I may be shooting blanks from this end.

Test email sent

Bounced right back

The original message was received at Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:58:24 -0500
    from northwindassociates.com [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <tlhemplemanXXXX@att.net>
    (reason: 550-70.169.135.36 blocked by ldapu=rblmx,dc=worldnet,dc=att,dc=net)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    .... while talking to aln-mailrelay.att.net.:
    <<< 450 busy - please try later
    .... while talking to scc-mailrelay.att.net.:
    >>> MAIL From:<XXXXXX@socket.net> SIZE=1288
    <<< 550-70.169.135.36 blocked by ldapu=rblmx,dc=worldnet,dc=att,dc=net
    <<< 550 Blocked for abuse. See http://www.att.net/general-info/rblinquiry.html"
    554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Thanks Steve. It appears that Tom's email is being "Blocked for abuse", and is not the same error I am getting.

Tom - you should be able to get yours fixed by talking to your ISP. Follow the link in the error message. I don't think yours is a problem at the SMC end.
    Cave Creek, AZ

It looks like they may have found their way into at least one RBL list. Usually for open relaying (spam technique), but not always. The SMC admins will have to get it off by doing some follow up. The DNS is also a possible issue.

Thanks, folks. PM's are working OK. Incoming emails from SMC are definitely not working. Outgoing emails to other SMC users may or may not be working. Guess it's time to start rattling cages at AT&T/Yahoo again. Don't you just love "HI TECH"????
    Tom Hempleman
    Carroll, Ohio

Qwest called me today. They removed northwindassociates.com from one of their Black Lists. Lo and behold - I ran a test and I can finally receive emails from SMC. Wonders will never cease.

I started this thread on 10/16. Today is 11/27. It only took 6 weeks for a resolution. Ain't technology wonderful!!!

I guess the only remaining issue is how northwindassociates.com, and therefore SMC, got onto a Black List at Qwest in the first place. I'll leave that to the wizards at SMC to ponder.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 11-27-2007 at 3:39 PM.
    Cave Creek, AZ

After reading the posts in this thread, I called Mediacom and they suggested that I email "abuse@mediacom.com" to request that the block be cancelled.

Now I get emails when I have elected to follow a thread. Success!

Thanks for the suggestion as to how to resolve this.

Roy

This thread has uncovered at least three ISP's that had SMC emails blocked - Qwest, ATT/Yahoo and Mediacom. I hope SMC's tech folks are listening.
    Cave Creek, AZ

It Works!!!

Yea!!! Email from SMC is working again. Thanks to everyone who pulled the right strings to get this resolved. If a problem takes more than a sledge hammer, duct tape or WD40 to solve, I'm lost.
    Tom Hempleman
    Carroll, Ohio