Thread: Aaron and Keith

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up Aaron and Keith

Gentlemen, Had a little time this afternoon and I was playing with some of the icons. This site has a lot of very nice features. Great choice and great place to hang.
    Thanks, I really enjoy the atmosphere.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thanks Tyler,

We selected vBulletin for our software last year because it had all of the features we wanted and knew that it would be improved over time. The very first upgrade we did added literally pages of new features, most of which we have not had time to implement and some of the new goodies we are reserving for another time. Surprising enough some of our members don't really like the fancy stuff so we have to take that into consideration and find a balance that suits the majority. The main feature of SMC is that we are purely database driven. The entire system is based on a database and we can extract, modify and enhance our forums relatively easy.

Aaron has been trying to find the time to modify the color scheme, I must admit I would prefer to change the light purple/blue/grey with a tan color and some nice wooden buttons We have also been planing a new entry page for the site, this would give us a better way to provide announcements and links to common areas. A new main page would also allow us to link to some of the really cool new features that vBulletin has that most people don't know about. Aaron is capable of designing scripts that would be accessed via buttons and make some very powerful features easy to use.

Our first anniversary is Febuary 11th. Our first year we have concentrated on building our membership and in turn our members have been creating the most valuable section of the site, archived posts. In recent weeks we have been concentrating on attracting woodworking groups, offering them private forums and calendars to improve the way they communicate with their members. This in turn brings a wealth of talent and experience to SawMill Creek that all of our members can benefit from, many are very recognisable names of published woodworkers.

The long term goal for us as a community is to simply increase the value of SawMill Creek by increasing the information available and making it easy to retreive for reference purposes. Our not to distant future invloves our first server split which will spread the CPU processing across two servers, then three, etc.

The end of next week on our anniversary I will share with everyone some of our plans and goals for our second year.

Keith...bottom line...Thanks to you...Aaron...Jackie... and ALL the other people who work so hard to make this such a comfortable place to hang out.
    However, posting at 3am on a Saturday morning is a little disturbing. Do you get to sleep anymore?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Bricks and Mortar

Glenn,

My sleep schedule has changed since I went back to working construction. My current job as the Clerk of the Works for the construction of Potomac River Hall at CNU has me retireing early and consequently being one of the early to rise crowd these days

Below is an AutoCad rendition of the U-shaped dorm I'm working on, the first of four buildings will be under roof next week. The dorm is scheduled to be completed in late June but I have a new four story student center that will be starting in late spring. My schedule is full through the end of 2005. CNU is a really great place to work and I'm really lucky to be part of a very large expansion program the University is right in the middle of these days.

The green grass in the sketch is knee deep mud right now....but we're working on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool job! I think you would have the perfect attitude for it. If it's still the same, making sure everything is per plan, you just have to watch for falling objects. ;-)

Very nice campus. Used to go there for softball/baseball tournaments.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I have to agree with Tyler. You folks have done a super job on this site. I can't begin to imagine the number of hours spent to make things right. Now for a request. When you get around to adding features I would like to be able to add a jpg to a PM of SMC email.

Thanks,
    Terry

Terry,

It's unlikely we will add the ability to send any outbound email attachments or modify our Private message system to allow attachments. The reason being outbound email would totally consume our bandwidth and allowing PM's to have attachments would fill up a hard drive per week.