Thread: Downdraft Sanding Table?

Lightbulb Downdraft Sanding Table?

Once upon a time I ran across some photo's and plans for a Downdraft sanding Table/Air Filtering Unit that I thought would be a good compliment to a Dust Collection System. I have a couple of Squirrel Cage type blower units at my disposal, and I would like to assemble one of these units. After reading the replies to the recent dust collection system post, I realized how we sometimes take our health for granted. It seems to me that a unit of this type, with a perforated top, would not only be great for a sanding table, it could also serve as an airborne particulate filter, to catch the "no-see-ums" that the Dust Collection System misses. With the addition of a timer type switch, the unit could be left on for a period of time after the work is done to further the air purification process. The higher tech furnace type filters that are available now days would be the perfect, low cost thing for a unit like this. As always, any ideas or suggestions are appreciated! The more time I spend here, the more I learn!

Paul Kunkel Guest

Thumbs up

Kevin, I remember too but alas have forgot where or when. I built mine a few months ago from that dim memory. I built it to a size that matched filters I had on hand and with what plywood I had left over in the scrap bin. I'll get measurements to you if you need them but depending on the blower unit you use the may be different. I had a huge 2000cfm 1 -1/2hp squirrel cage to build around, so the thing wound up about 4x4x3h.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks Good!

Thank you Paul, I appreciate the information and the Photo. That is exactly what I had in mind. I remember most of the information I read, but just wanted to reference the article again before I started builidng. How effective is your unit? With the Monster Blower unit, I'll bet it sucks up the dust lickety-split! I plan on using pleated filters, with a bank of pre-filters in front of them, to help prolong the life of the pleated filters. I like your idea of a recepticle in the side too. I plan on putting it on casters, so I can roll it out of the way when it's not in use. Thanks again for sharing your table with me Paul........... nice job!

Paul Kunkel Guest

Re: Looks Good!

Originally posted by Kevin Gersty
    Thank you Paul, I appreciate the information and the Photo. That is exactly what I had in mind. I remember most of the information I read, but just wanted to reference the article again before I started builidng. How effective is your unit? With the Monster Blower unit, I'll bet it sucks up the dust lickety-split! I plan on using pleated filters, with a bank of pre-filters in front of them, to help prolong the life of the pleated filters. I like your idea of a recepticle in the side too. I plan on putting it on casters, so I can roll it out of the way when it's not in use. Thanks again for sharing your table with me Paul........... nice job!
    Kevin, it sucks alot but not as much as before I put it in the table. Between the multitude of holes and the filters, it slows down the air movement a fair amount. Right now I only have 2 sets of 1" pleated & 1" glass filters in it side by side. The paper filters can be cleaned several times by tapping and blowing off with air. I'll replace those with side by side 2" pleated paper when these get too dirty. This one is on 3" casters and has duplex's on 2 sides. Paul

I thought i had seen this subject somwhere before on the SAWMILL, but having a good memory, but short, I posted a simular subject on the DESIGN FOURM. Take a gander at it.
    RUSTYNAIL

I saw several of these types of tables posted on the Badger Pond One feature that one of the builder included was to the make the table the same height as his table saw so he could use it as an outfeed table too. Good Luck.

Wendell