Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dunlap Planes - Are they worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    That KK 4 was listed as $40.....just to give an idea. I think the DE 5 was about the same. Place was the Labor Day Tractor Fest in West Liberty, OH. pictures were from 2 years ago. Had a few "better" planes this year....
    Attachment 350041
    Except someone thought these were Gold plated...
    Attachment 350042
    That Ohio Tool Co. 0-8c was listed as $110..firm.
    I did manage to get a decent brace, though..
    Attachment 350043
    Keen Kutter 6" brace(nee Millers Falls) I think I got it for...$25 or so...
    I have one of those in 12". It's a Zenith, but I don't know for sure who made it. I have a Bonney's patent hollow auger that only fits in it, because it's got that Fray chuck with its giant jaws and the shank on the auger is right around 1/2" thick, maybe a tad bigger.

So my pricing had me leaving the meet empty-handed. Not the first time. But it also likely left the seller dragging the planes in tow behind him on HIS way home I was more curious if I missed a decent plane!

I don't have a 3DBB, but I do have a Fulton 3709, which is identical save for the name and the paint. I love that thing, and they've both got that Millers Falls steel. No worries of dulling that iron on the first pass, nope.

Of all the planes I had come through the shop...I have never had one by MIllers Falls that ever chattered. Just something about them, making them chatter free.

That set of auger bits near the 0-8c......he wanted $40 for them.

In the first picture, that #5 was @$45, the other two were around $25, as was the drawknife. Mostly the same vendors show up each Labor Day. I walked almost 4 miles, while doing a two day shopping trip there...look closely...you might spot a Stanley #80 sitting nearby...
    3 tent store 1.jpg
    Would one of these fit?

I've never had any quality plane chatter. The only planes that ever did are the Sears planes with the U-shaped bent lateral adjusters. The steel on those is garbage, and the bottom of the frog can be up to an inch from the sole of the plane which prevents a user from narrowing the mouth any. Incidentally that brings us back full circle - the offending planes were a grey and red Craftsman and a Dunlap #3.

With a Stanley iron in it, the Dunlap at least made two shavings in a row, but the Craftsman jointer and jack that I have are pig iron for when I have time to learn to cast. The steel actually TURNED when I tried to square an edge on construction pine! No wonder power tool sales took off in the 50s and 60s.

"When the stranger walked among them,no one gave him any lip. For the stranger carried a PIG IRON in a holster on his hip!!!" A slightly modified version of an old Marty Robbins Western song. "The gunfighter,I think"

But,really,would you mess with a guy who had a 500# pig iron on his hip????

Yep....All the planes sitting out there those days...were either way too over-priced, or not worth the effort to even pick up to look at. I knew that a certain brace would be there, so I went after it. Wound up with a few other small items, too. The fellow had a stash of hammers sitting around, and even an anvil or two..
    tool tubs.jpg
    But, like a lot of the items there, there was always something wrong..
    barrels.jpg
    Nice wood barrel, but..it was EMPTY!
    Vise.jpg
    Nice vise, but they forgot the bench...

I plan on going there again, next year...

An empty JD barrel? I suppose it's cheaper to ship that way...