Thread: Hardwood flooring…some rookie questions

Hardwood flooring…some rookie questions

I’m about to install 400 sqft of solid ¾ pre-finished hardwood flooring in my kitchen. I have two layers of linoleum down in my kitchen and I was told by the Bella wood salesman that I can install the hardwood directly on top of it. Anyone have any experience with this kind of floor installation. I would like to remove the linoleum but I just know that the adhesive will almost certainly destroy the first layer of plywood on my sub floor.

I would also like some recommendation on flooring nailers. I see used models on Craig list for 150 bucks all the time. Since it’s such a small job I think I will just rent one at the Borg. I just want to make sure I get a good model so I don’t have to kick the cat out of frustration.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

This is an interesting situation. Never heard of using 3/4" flooring over linoleum. And is the adhesive really necessary? I have used both a portanailer, and a bostitch flooring nailer, both worked well, they rent them at rental stores. Old timers only use nails to fasten hardwood down, if you have plywood or lumber subfloor. OSB would have to be glued to, as there is nothing in it to hold a nail. Would your appliances be ok Height wise if you build your floor up 3/4"? That would be my concern. Might have to strip the floor down to subfloor to make sure your dishwasher will still fit under the countertop. And the range might stick up above the countertop. How about your refrigerator, plenty of clearance from cabinet? Just pondering a few concerns. Jim

Allen

Funny you should ask this question. A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend install 3/4" prefinished flooring over one layer of linoleum. We had absolutely no problems. We used a pneumatic floor nailer to attach the floor. The linoleum actually acts as a buffer to keep the floor from squeeking. I've never installed it over 2 layers, but one was no problem.
    Keel McDonald ><>

I'm not sure I would be too cozy with putting down hardwood over a floor where I didnt know what the subfloor was. For the hardwood to be solid, you need at least 3/4" of plywood underneath. With linoleum it may be sitting on top of the subfloor or there may be a layer of thin ply on top. Unless you know for sure whats under there, you may be asking for trouble. At the very least I would try and pull up a section in some inconspicuous place to see what I had and how difficult removing all of it might be. If it isnt too bad, I would pull it all up and do it right from the start.

I would remove the linoleum. Sometimes Masonite is installed under linoleum to insure a smooth surface, this might cause you problems.
    Since you are installing an expensive and labor intensive floor I would make sure you are on solid foundations.
    Robert

We also had masonite underneath the linoleum. It caused no problems. We had Advantec as the main subflooring, and the nails easily were long enough to reach well into it.
    Keel McDonald ><>

I usally use a hole drill to drill a plug out and look what the floor is, easer than trying to lift a section. It will work as long as the sub floor is 3/4 plywood and not concreat or similar materal. Watch your hight though I have installed floors that the people did not want to rip out the old floor and it looks silly higher than the rest of the floors around it.
    -=Jason=-

We've installed over linoleum before. This was on cement slab, but it actually acts as a good vapor barrier. As long as the linoleum is glued down well, should work well.

I also have not done this over two layers though.

I HAVE helped pull up linoleum up from a plywood subfloor...what a mess. It was nasty work. So if you can I would avoid it.

Perry