Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Might Be A Woodturner If ---

Blog Entries
    You have a tree thats 1 foot in your next door neighbors yard that has a big burl on it and you call the city to define your property line just in case. (True story)
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

You Might Be A Woodturner If ---

Raymond,
    Thanks for ref. to previous thread. Read 'em all. Understand that we can be somewhat single minded, but based upon some of the amazing art seen here, was expecting a little more creativity from us.

Bill,
    Good one.

YMBAWI---Watching Star Trek personnel in the forest of an alien planet, you send them a subspace message to beam back a section of that fallen tree trunk they just climbed over.

... you're on a first name basis with UPS, Fed Ex, and DHL drivers.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Raymond,
    Thanks for ref. to previous thread. Read 'em all. Understand that we can be somewhat single minded, but based upon some of the amazing art seen here, was expecting a little more creativity from us.
    Richard,

Don't take my post as pouring cold water on everyone's warm enthusiasm. It's just that a lot of posts like this are cyclical and it's always interesting to go back and see what was posted years ago. My post was for reference, not criticism.

I'm currently in Kuching, Malaysia right now so along that theme... You might be a woodturner if you're visiting Kuching and instead of buying a piece of carved ironwood art, you're looking for just a hunk of ironwood.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

YMBAWI..........you come to the back door of the house and your wife tells you to STRIP, but not in the tone of voice you hope to hear her say it.

....... from table legs to the toilet paper roll holder.

Gee, I thought I was the only one to replace all the plastic TP roll holders with wood.

Wayne

Raymond,
    Good post from Malaysia (!), and hope you find that chunk of ironwood. Thank you.
    Pat,
    That's the spirit. We should be careful here, but---

YMBAWTI-- When your wife gets in your pants, she's just shaking out the wood chips before putting the pants in the clothes washer.

When you plan your holidays around wood stores and wood shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Raymond,
    Good post from Malaysia (!), and hope you find that chunk of ironwood. Thank you.
    Pat,
    No go on finding anything before I left but I did get a line on a timber supplier for my next trip. I'll have to work faster so I can finish in time to get by the place.

YMBAWTI - you see a 6800 RM (2060 USD) solid tigerwood table with benches and think, if the shipping wasn't 5200 RM ($1575 USD) I could get enough blanks out of it to be profitable. It was a gorgeous piece as is. I'll try to post pictures later this evening.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill