Thread: Home made extension mobile base for 50" cab saw?

Question Home made extension mobile base for 50" cab saw?

I just bought a JET cab saw with 50" fence, bc of the size I am going to need to move it around occasionally.

I really didn't want to shell out $180-$250 for a mobile base to go under the whole shabang, so I purchased the rockler mobile base for $50 (600 lb capacity) where you make your own wooden cross pieces and they supply the corner brackets with wheels and locking wheel to go under jjust the cabinet part:

Rockler Mobile base

I was wondering if anyone else bought something similar and then fashioned the extension piece to support the legs on the 50" table and legs with wheels.

Would like to know/see your ideas. Thanks

I bought the htc mobile base and have no regrets. It was nice to have to move across town, too. I have a rockler mobile base on my router table and the htc set up is way better for my Jet 50" table, IMHO. Yes, it cost more initially, but you get what you pay for FWIW
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I used a shop fox mobile base and ended up going back and getting the extension kit for it. I found it just too tippy without it. It really isn't that expensive, only about $80.

I found it to be much more stiff after I bolted a piece of 3/4" plywood to the base, then bolted the Unisaw to the plywood. My floor is a bit uneven.

I made a base for My Jet cabinet saw from a Delta mobile base kit. I can’t find the pic on my computer right now so I will try to explain as best I can. First off I did not use wood. I used 11ga sq. steel tubing. If you buy steel from a regular supply house it is cheaper than you would think. A 20 foot length was only around $24. I put the 4 steel corners under the cabinet of the saw. The front and back rail was cut the same length as the saw was wide. I welded a piece of angle iron on the right end to hold the table legs. The lift wheel is place all the way to the right at the table leg ends. If you place it under the base of the saw, it will not stay up under the weight.

Question

thanks thats a great idea...

I guess you have to buy one extra pair of those adjustable pads for seating on the floor. I'd think you need one pair on the end of the cabinet where there are no wheels and another pair down by the legs where the extension table and lifter is....or is the steel strong enough to support the weight of a 400+ cab saw without flexing?

Hi, I made one from angle iron. I've included a photo.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought the HTC base for the cabinet, then some angle iron for under the legs. Drill holes in the angle iron for the threaded leg screws to go through, and use nuts on each side of the angle iron to lock it in once you get the proper height set. Haven't actually finished it yet, but that is the plan. I hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    I bought the HTC base for the cabinet, then some angle iron for under the legs. Drill holes in the angle iron for the threaded leg screws to go through, and use nuts on each side of the angle iron to lock it in once you get the proper height set. Haven't actually finished it yet, but that is the plan. I hope it works.
    The HTC base that I bought has an angle iron piece facing up on the extension end. The legs sit on it, but I wired them in place just to be safe.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    thanks thats a great idea...

I guess you have to buy one extra pair of those adjustable pads for seating on the floor. I'd think you need one pair on the end of the cabinet where there are no wheels and another pair down by the legs where the extension table and lifter is....or is the steel strong enough to support the weight of a 400+ cab saw without flexing?
    Im’ not 100% sure but I think I only put pads on the extreme right of the base but adding another set would only help and be inexpensive.