Thread: More Power Feeder Shaper Mounting Help - Please

More Power Feeder Shaper Mounting Help - Please

Ok guys, first I need to say measure first. I had read somewhere that you could install a power feeder in the extension wing, well you can, but with a small feeder – it’s to far from the cutter – note to self: ALWAYS MEASURE FIRST! Anyway I’m now trying to figure out how to mount the feeder correctly. The shaper is set up so fence can be used both perpendicular and parallel to the miter slot.

In the first option I would like to use the power feeder/fence perpendicular to the slot. This gives the biggest table (40”) for feeding long stock and keeps the feeder mounted in the extension wing. I would remount the feeder forward as shown in the red dot. The problem is, the fence cannot be used in the parallel mode when the feeder is mounted (which I assume would be about always). This may not be a big problem, since with the fence slid out of the way I use a coping jig to do cross grain cuts, however I’m not 100% sure. I assume this is sort of like not using a miter gauge and fence at the same time on a table saw.

The second option requires drilling the main table, and with this option the fence is only used in the parallel position, since there us not enough clearance to use the fence perpendicular to the slot. This option is ok, but I lose the large table for long stock shaping.

With either option, I'm still at about the limit of the power feeder travel depending on exactly where the head is. Another option might be to mount the power feeder in the "front", I think the clearance problems would go away, but I think I might have some problems with wide material running it perpendicular to the miter slot.

It’s late, I picked up the power feeder this afternoon and was hoping to finally graduate from my router bits to a real shaper cutters. Obviously, I’ve not used a power feeder before, and it was purchased more as a safety device then anything else. I’m also fairly new to the shaper, although I’ve run router bits in it for about a year.

Any thought are most appreciated.

Thanks – John
    Last edited by John Weber; 02-08-2004 at 8:20 AM.

I have the delta 3 hp shaper and mounted the feeder in the back left corner of the main table. Not sure why you need such a big table, I don't have a rear extension wing with my shaper.

Quote Originally Posted by John Weber
    Ok guys, first I need to say measure first. I had read somewhere that you could install a power feeder in the extension wing, well you can, but with a small feeder – it’s to far from the cutter – note to self: ALWAYS MEASURE FIRST! Anyway I’m now trying to figure out how to mount the feeder correctly. The shaper is set up so fence can be used both perpendicular and parallel to the miter slot.

In the first option I would like to use the power feeder/fence perpendicular to the slot. This gives the biggest table (40”) for feeding long stock and keeps the feeder mounted in the extension wing. I would remount the feeder forward as shown in the red dot. The problem is, the fence cannot be used in the parallel mode when the feeder is mounted (which I assume would be about always). This may not be a big problem, since with the fence slid out of the way I use a coping jig to do cross grain cuts, however I’m not 100% sure. I assume this is sort of like not using a miter gauge and fence at the same time on a table saw.

The second option requires drilling the main table, and with this option the fence is only used in the parallel position, since there us not enough clearance to use the fence perpendicular to the slot. This option is ok, but I lose the large table for long stock shaping.

With either option, I'm still at about the limit of the power feeder travel depending on exactly where the head is. Another option might be to mount the power feeder in the "front", I think the clearance problems would go away, but I think I might have some problems with wide material running it perpendicular to the miter slot.

It’s late, I picked up the power feeder this afternoon and was hoping to finally graduate from my router bits to a real shaper cutters. Obviously, I’ve not used a power feeder before, and it was purchased more as a safety device then anything else. I’m also fairly new to the shaper, although I’ve run router bits in it for about a year.

Any thought are most appreciated.

Thanks – John
    I have the same shaper and what I think is the same feeder, although mine wears the Delta badge on it. Let me also say that my fence always stays at a right angle to the miter slot. I prefer to use a sled for any end cuts, it makes set up alot faster, and the pieces can be clamped to the sled. You can use a spacer on the spindle to keep your cutter height consistant. With that said here's what I did.

I have mine mounted sorta like whats shown in the second pic you posted. However I moved mine over so it stradles the line between the main table and the extension wing. Two things that led to that decision are that as you found out, travel on the ram is limited, and the fact the extension wing is a little thin to say the least. Keep something else in mind as you pick your spot. Your gonna want to make sure that you have enough travel on the ram to be able to roll the head over and have the wheels pushing on the fence for making face cuts. If you don't your going to give up alot of functionality of the machine, this is where feeders really shine.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-08-2004 at 11:02 AM.

shaper mount

put it on the main table, put the fence on parallel to the crosscut slot and remove the back extension table.the main reason for setting up parallel is so I only have one setup in order to run the cope sled ( fence is a stop for length) and stick cuts

AFAIC the only reason for the rear extension table is for freehand cuts to assist in supporting longer stock. With a power feeder long stock is successfully cut I set up a outfeed roller stand for really long work (9'+)

I have the 3 HP version of that shaper, and cut 8' long entry type stiles for doors set up as I recommend.

The base should be pretty tight into the corner ( I prefer the left rear so it is out of the way when I use a coping sled) and you have to measure to miss one of the webs under the table or just leave that bolt out.Three will hold it just fine.

Joe

John,
    I have shapers setup with the miter slot each way. I am using a feeder the size of yours. I made wood mounting blocks so I did not have to drill the tables. They work very well. I have a different base & mounting block for each shaper. Attached is the only picture I could find at this time. Let me know if you want some others or would like to look at them in person.

I should have read the dates before I posted. I did not notice that this thread was over 2 years old. Maybe this will help someone else out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Rosenberger; 05-28-2007 at 3:06 PM.