Thread: Mobile TS base question

Mobile TS base question

I have a CM zip code TS (22124 w/stock Bies fence & rails) that I've needed to make mobile for limited space reasons. I've tried both the ShopFox and HTC 2000 mobile bases and have been less than satisified with the results. The TS is not as stable on the mobile bases as it was sitting on the concrete floor. I did not remove the leveling feet when I place the TS on the mobile bases. Would removing the feet help or should I consider a welded base? Is there a Delta other welded base that would work with the 22124?

Thanks for your guidance.

I find that, in some cases, actually having a base 'custom made' at a welding shop was a very effective way of making some of those odd ball tools easily mobile. I'll admit, it's not tge nost cost effective means....but it shouldn't be to painful either. I had a base made for a workbench and for a router table I made. I think i had about 2hunnert and fitty bucks invested in it.

I have a Delta 10" Professional that I mounted on a custom cabinet. Wow, did that make the saw feel solid. Should be solid with all the 3/4 birch and the 15 drawers. I also put a link belt and machined pulleys on the saw for smoothness. Now, my wife wants me to buy a SawStop, so I have the saw and cabinet for sale for $450. Fence and router not included. The steel frame and the weight compensate for the poured floor with an expansion joint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mobile base

If memory serves me correctly Delta's mobile bases were smaller than the c-man footprint.

I ended up making my own mobile base, I made some support legs for the extension table on the right.

mobile ts base

Tom, you might want to check out the one at Woodcraft. Part # is 140240 for $59.99 a $10.00 off sale price. It says it will support up to 600 lbs. and will stretch out to 29"x 29" with 3" industrial casters. I have one of their other bases ( basically just 4 corners with casters) that you have to put together with your own piece of 3/4" plywood, it really works better than the Delta mobile bases that I have and I like it better as well.
    The other Woodcraft base is under my jointer...and I like being able to move it around with very little effort. Jim Heffner

Blog Entries
    If the base has minimal flex itself, you may want to try removing the leveling feet and bolting the saw body to the mobile base. Just as idea.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tom, when I bought the same saw I orderd it with the CM mobile base, the one that replaces the feet, no rails. Has worked out fine and was an easy install.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I had my CM 22124 bolted to a HTC base but did not like the way the saw seemed to rock a bit. I then bought the Woodcraft Universal base and mounted the saw with the feet on. The saw feels stable, but it now sits a little higher.
    I was told the bolt on Craftsman base is not longer available as that seemed to be the best option I found when researching this issue.

Thank you for your suggestions. The responses have given me options to consider that I didn't know I had.

mobile ts base

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Williams View Post
    I had my CM 22124 bolted to a HTC base but did not like the way the saw seemed to rock a bit. I then bought the Woodcraft Universal base and mounted the saw with the feet on. The saw feels stable, but it now sits a little higher.
    I was told the bolt on Craftsman base is not longer available as that seemed to be the best option I found when researching this issue.
    Thomas, I just checked Sears website, they still have the mobile saw base, part # is 22303 for $69.99 in stock and available for in store pick up
    according to their site. 11/03/07 Jim Heffner

Hi Tom - When I bought mine, I picked up the CMan base that is no longer available. The new Sears base is nearly identical to the universal base from Woodcraft. I used the original CMan base without the rails and added a 11/2" slab of maple between the corners, and drilled holes to counter the height increase from the adjustable feet...that way I was able to put minimal weight on only one foot to stabilize it. It stands ~ 38" as is, and has worked out well.

My friend Tom, who also has the 22124, was not happy with the same base I bought and ended up with the Shop Fox base IIRC, and is happy with that.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have my 22124 on a Jet mobile base. easy to set up and seems stable enough, except the locking of the wheels is not great so I use a shim / wedge to stop movement. Anyone else using the Jet mobile base for thier zip code saw?