Thread: Powermatic TS problem with fence on all 50" (pics)

Blog Entries

Powermatic TS problem with fence on all 50" (pics)

Here's the problem I encountered with my new PM saw as well as the one on display at the place of purchase. This can easily be fixed if you re drill the holes to move the rail up. Once you hit the rail there is so much leverage that it will throw the arbor alignment way off. Once that happens it's difficult to realign it. PM replaced my saw when this happened to mine. When I got the new one I tilted it before I attached the fence and it was fine. Then when I had the fence on it happened again. That's when I figured out it was the angle iron from the back side of the fence. It doesn't happen until you hit 40 degrees. I hope this helps anyone with this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 10-26-2007 at 12:23 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Can you be more specific about the model of the PM Saw? (PM2000) and the type of 50" fence?

Does PM now reccomend a specific fix?

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Here's the problem I encountered with my new PM saw as well as the one on display at the place of purchase. This can easily be fixed if you re drill the holes to move the rail up. Once you hit the rail there is so much leverage that it will throw the arbor alignment way off. Once that happens it's difficult to realign it. PM replaced my saw when this happened to mine. When I got the new one I tilted it before I attached the fence and it was fine. Then when I had the fence on it happened again. That's when I figured out it was the angle iron from the back side of the fence. It doesn't happen until you hit 40 degrees. I hope this helps anyone with this issue.

That's a PM 64A contractor's saw.

The problem is that your angle iron is up-side down. Flip it so that the flat of the L is up instead of down. The fence "foot" rides on it and is very adjustable, but I don't think it'd like to ride quite that low. There should be plenty of room to keep the "shelf" below the table surface, mine's at least 3/4" away which is plenty of room for the foot.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks, The fence came w/o instructions so I assembled it the way the one at Woodworkers was assembled. It has the same problem as well. The side that the fence rides on is the same way as this one so it would seem to be correct. Seems unusual that the bolt holes would lign up correctly.

Yeah, i'd seen a couple of 'em with that back rail mounted upside-down in stores, too, after I bought mine. The bolt holes just happen to be symmetrical on this saw - causing one to think that it works fine upside-down. It does, for anything less than 40 degrees! :P

The instruction manual wasn't a TON of help in this, either, if I remember correctly. I've since pushed my rails over 5 inches to avoid the sterilization hazard as well as to give me a few more ripping inches. That is some hard steel they used, took a fair bit of drilling to make new holes!

It's a great saw, by the way. I love mine!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    I agree, it is a fantastic saw, especially for the price. I think I paid 649.99 for mine. sure runs smooth.