Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #4 Rehab: Should I have this gap?

Hi,
    that doesn't look the same as mine certainly- and yet in your 1st photo above (of the 4) the blade is sitting as it should against the frog, even though the chipbreaker is raised off of it somehow. When you have the chipbreaker and blade screwed together perhaps the head of the bolt is too large to 'sit' in the frog properly. I can make the blade sit up like that off the frog when the lateral adjuster stops it sitting right, but a bit of wriggling will get it to sit as it should against the frog.
    Can you check the bolt head sits in the frog?
    I never thought I would ever write a sentence like the last one!

Andy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nic obie View Post
    I agree with Steve.

Somebody probably replaced the fork. It isn't very hard to knock out the pin then file it down until everything fits. In a way this is good because when you are done you will have a plane with no back lash in the adjuster.
    I think this is the case. The pins are slightly tappered if my memory is working. It will tap out from one side real easy. From the other side you would think it is welded in.

I believe it is a type 11.

Overal length of the plane is 7 3/8".

On the bed in front of the knob is stamped:
    BAILEY

Behind the knob:
    NO 4

Between the frog and the tote:
    PAT'D
    MAR-25-02
    AUG-19-02
    APR-19-10

The blade has a triangle-/V-shaped engraving (see pic above):
    STANLEY
    NEW BRITAIN
    CONN
    USA

The lateral adjustment lever reads:
    STANLEY

The brass depth adjustment knob is 1" in diameter.

I think that makes it an 11.

Regarding the bolt-head, there appears to be plenty of room for it. The chipbreaker/iron assembly seems to be pivoting on the yoke, with the only other pivot points being at the tip of the frog near the business end of the iron.
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 10-28-2007 at 3:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    I am wondering if I have a bit of a Franken-plane...
    Sure what it looks like to me. And, with that, there's nothing wrong with modifying it. Time for a file, I think. If you don't have a file the right size, look at your local tool suppliers for either a set of needle files (probably awfully small for the purpose), a warding file, or an auger bit file. That last one will serve a dual purpose - you can use it for sharpening auger bits afterward. Though it's hard to have too many files unless you run out of storage space - they're always handy.

It looks as though someone has replaced the adjusting yoke in your frog. I have never seen one that long before. Do you have another one that you can take a look at? I wonder if the lever cap can even seat with this long of a yoke in there. even if the chip bereaker is filed open enough to accept the yoke.

James Davis

Any Type 11 Owners Out There?

Funny, the lever cap was in place when I bought it, but I certainly can't get it back on now (because the chipbreaker won't go down). This is my first bench plane, so I didn't really know what to look for before I disassembeled it. I don't recall the gap or any fit problems before I began the clean-up.

I don't have any another bench plane to use for camparison, much less a #4 type 11. I wonder, does anyone else on the forum have a type 11 we could use for comparison?

I would like to determine, for sure, whether a) the yoke or b) the chipbreaker or c) my head needs adjustment. Maybe the answer is to just order a Hock or LN and file the yoke to fit it, but it would be good to know for sure.
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 10-29-2007 at 10:21 AM.

If this is a bailey type plane its looks to me as though it is, the Yoke is not origonal, it protrudes much higher than normal. There shound be a curve (rather like a gear tooth (involute form)) on the end that engages with the chip breaker. On yours it is to long and there is little if any curve, therefore it will have resticted movement and also not allow the iron and chip breaker to sit flat on the frog.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    Funny, the lever cap was in place when I bought it, but I certainly can't get it back on now (because the chipbreaker won't go down). This is my first bench plane, so I didn't really know what to look for before I disassembeled it. I don't recall the gap or any fit problems before I began the clean-up.

I don't have any another bench plane to use for camparison, much less a #4 type 11. I wonder, does anyone else on the forum have a type 11 we could use for comparison?

I would like to determine, for sure, whether a) the yoke or b) the chipbreaker or c) my head needs adjustment. Maybe the answer is to just order a Hock or LN and file the yoke to fit it, but it would be good to know for sure.
    I'll dig through my stash today for a type 11 and look it over.

Danny,

I pulled a #4, Type 11. I measure the projection of the tooth of the yoke from the tip to the surface of the frog as about 0.18" with the plane adjusted for a fine cut. Yours appears to be much more than that.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Adjuster Yoke.

If you will send me your address, I will send you a yoke from a #5 type 11 that I am parting out. I think that will solve your problem.

James Davis

Yep, I'm thinking FRANKENPLANE...
    The early bird gets the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Big thanks, James. PM sent. I hope to return the favor, someday. And thanks to everyone for helping ID the problem.

It Fits!!!!

Fellow Creeker James Davis had mercy on me and sent a known valid #4 type 11 yoke and lookie here, surprise, surprise, you guys were right. Take a look at the yoke lengths in the attached photos.

In the first picture, the top yoke is the one that was on my plane, the bottom is the one Jim sent.

The second pic shows the perfect fit between the "right" yoke and my chipbreaker.

The third . . . no gap.

I now have a fit between my chipbreaker and yoke!

James, I can't thank you enough.

The next two pics show my progress so far. After sanding the base on emery paper (50 grit, 80 wasn't getting me anywhere) I still have two low spots. You can see them by looking for the marks that go in the direction of the plane. In the second to last photo, you can see a low spot just in front of the mouth near the top edge. In the last photo you can see a long line along the bottom edge. I assume that getting the spot in front of the mouth is more important than the long edge near the rear. See any other problems?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 11-03-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Also, I'm wondering, is the longer yoke needed for the thicker Hock and Lie-Nielsen replacement irons and chipbreakers?

I've been following this thread with interest.
    Here's a thought: It looks to me as though the original yoke has been extended with silver solder or the like.
    Now this is commonly done when an extra thick replacement blade is added to the plane, so that the yoke engages the chipbreaker.
    My guess is that the previous owner did exactly this, and when he passed on the plane he decided to keep the replacement blade and sell it with the original. Hence the problem.
    Don't throw out the yoke, you will probably need it again if you ever obtain a thick replacement blade.
    Good luck
    MC