Thread: FastenMaster IQ hidden fasteners for decking

FastenMaster IQ hidden fasteners for decking

Has anyone tried this system?
    It appears to be pretty new, and I've been unable to find any user reviews on it.

I'm building a 600 sq ft deck and topping with Trex Brasilia. I've purchased the FastenMaster IQ pieces, but would really like comments from someone who has used it before I install it....

THanks!
    Eric
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Anyone? C'mon, I know there are some deck guys out there....
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

i built a deck two months ago using the deckmaster hidden fastening system. the fastenmaster iq system looks like it'll be less time-intensive than what i used. don't forget that you'll need to space your joists 16" apart instead of 24" since you're using trex.

Interesting fastening system. I have used Deckmaster on several decks with excellent results. I'd have to disagree with Frank's post - I think the Deckmaster system is less labor intensive than FastenMaster IQ. You will have to install the FastenMaster IQ brackets as you install each course of decking, since the bracket includes a spacer between the courses. The Deckmaster system is completely installed before you lay the decking.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

but dave, don't you think that screwing EVERY other hole on those deckmaster brackets was slightly tedious? BTW eric, get yourself a decent impact driver.
    Last edited by frank shic; 11-01-2007 at 9:23 AM.

Thanks for the replies, guys!
    I went ahead and installed the FastenMaster IQ (actually, I'm only about 2/3 done so far). I posted in another thread about this, there is a little bit of a squeaking problem. See my post here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68511

Other than that, it was very easy to install, although it takes a lot of time with just two people.
    Eric in Denver