Thread: Need info on drying blanks in microwave

Need info on drying blanks in microwave

Good morning all,
    I have a large cache of exotics from Peru and have found that they are still very wet. They were shrink wrapped and shipped here at least a year ago and when I remove the plastic wrap they begin checking and splitting within a day or so. Some have been cut into rounds(in my shop) and anchorsealed and they are holding up well. I want to make a croquet set for a friends X-mas gift and I don't have the luxury of time to let then season naturally. I called a local hardwood supplier for info on kiln drying and they suggested that exotics have a tendency to split when kiln dried and mentioned that some turners have had success with drying in a microwave. My thoughts were to rip the blocks into 1" or narrower stock, dry, then glue together for the big finish. Any suggestions from all you experts out there? I still haven't finished his X-mas present from two years ago, so I would like to be more timely this year!! Thanks for your help. John.

Peruvian blanks

John: Those blanks quite certainly came from me here in Iquitos Peru. What I do is rough turn down to 1 inch thickness or a little less and boil them for about four hours. Then let them cool overnight in the water and take them out to airdry slowly. In about a month you should have a dry blank ready to remount and finish. You can see more about it on this link on my web site. Stephen Russel of Texas is the person who refined this method and I do not finish anything unless it is boiled. Everyone is looking for the one day fresh to finish method but patience is the key especially with the exotics. You probably have some pink wood and that is the most delicate, after boiling put it under sawdust for a couple of weeks before direct air.
    Here is the boiling info http://www.exoticwoodworld.com/process.htm

Hi Jim,
    That sure is your wood. I have shared with several local turners and they are "turning" out some very nice stuff. We all thank you!! We are wondering what the different varieties/species are for some of the blanks. There is some writing on the wrappers but I can't decipher ther code. I'll make a list and have you educate me later. I plan to make square mallets like the classic styles I've seen on the Net, so ripping, drying, then relaminating may be the most logical technique. I'm afraid if I boil them my wife will keep the stock and make some exotic soup. Ill keep you posted.

I used the crate material for a Morris chair I made for a local auction. I am sure I mixed the species but the final finish was fairly uniform and looks good. I was a bit dissappointed that it only went for $1200.00, but it was still a nice donation for the local Dental Society. I quess they hadn't had enough wine yet. The winning bidder is a violin maker so he must appreciate handmade stuff. He probably didn't have his glasses on to see the one or two minor flaws!!. The purple heart did develope a more purplish hue after warming up in the drum sander, but returned to the nice red/brown when cool. The other stock had a sweet and nutty aroma when machined so I assumed that was the Santos Mahogany. Here are some pics: Thanks again, and I'll share future projects as they come off the line. John Bush.

I finished with 5 coats of Seafin Teak Oil rubbed to 600 wt&dry. It has a wonderful finish.JCB.

John....go to woodturningonline dot com and scroll down in the beginners articles to near the bottom.........techiniques for drying wet wood. There is an article there.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Crate to chair

John: You are correct , we used to make out crates out of purpleheart, bloodwood and Santos Mahogany until the new law came into effect that prohibited untreated wood for crating. Any help you need on the species let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images