Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call to all Robust lathe owners.

Thumbs up Call to all Robust lathe owners.

I have just started a woodturning business, and I am loving it. I have an awesome lathe, but it's old (see Turning Group Members and Their Lathes). It's great for bowl work, but it has issues with spindle work. Granted, I haven't done many tweaks and upgrades, but they would run a couple thousand dollars and up. So I was thinking that I would get a new one. So far Robust is winning the race. I personally don't find the Oneways as impressive as people make them out to be. (Sorry Oneway owners.) In fact, I know of one owner who tried everything he knew, including hiring a professional woodturner, to try and get a large unbalanced black to run well enough to turn. Maybe it was a lemon, but something in the headstock assembly wasn't able to handle it. With that knowledge I looked into what seems to be a better choice. I have corresponded with the president of Robust, and I am liking the features and engineering innovations. I was hoping I could get some personal stories and opinions of those who already own one. I am especially interested in pushing its weight bearing ability. Has anyone done HUGE outboard work on it? Thanks all.

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 10-31-2007 at 8:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Someone please pick Andy up off the floor.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Matt.......at the price of a Robust what you mean is ......CALLING ALL BOTH OF 'EM! I had the opportunity to turn on Chris Hartley's Robust American Beauty in June at this home in Houston. They are an impressive machine!

Would somebody volunteer to give CPR to Mayo Andy?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Pricey indeed...

I agree that at that price it better be an awesome machine.

Now, I am a new member to this site, and I don't know everyone very well, but I hope I haven't deeply wounded my fellow turners. I am not trying to Oneway bash. I do believe they are excellent lathes, but I honestly feel that for their prices they should be better. Especially considering how many years they have had to tweak and refine their features and engineering. That being said, if Robust lives up to what they say they can do, I think the extra cost is worth it. Moreso for one who will be using it for their full income. That one being me. If I put up $5000.00 for a machine that will do almost anything, but could have spent $2000.00 more and gotten a lathe that can do everything, then it's worth it. That's my philosophy. Now I just need to get someone to corroborate or disprove my findings. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't know how much mass a Oneway can handle. Of course, there's always the VB36, but that's too specialized for my fledgling business.

Thanks y'all.

Hutch

Matt, no real harm done but for penance you will have to drink a case of Moxie. In one sitting. While chanting "I love Mayo, I love Mayo...".

1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

I have never before heard anyone complain of a problem like that with Oneway. They are nice machines but I would be more inclined to buy something with either a sliding or swivel headstock. I'm finding that I like to be right up in front of a bowl when I'm turning.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

How much wood could a Oneway chuck...

When a Oneway does chuck wood?

Ok, sorry couldn't resist the old cliche.

Matt, visit this site for a good indication of what a Oneway 2436 can handle:
    http://www.onegoodturn.ca/howidoit/v1.html

For outboard work, check out this one:
    http://www.onegoodturn.ca/howidoit/p1.html
    Last edited by Shannon Grizzell; 10-31-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Onway Verses Robust

Matt, I Own A Onway 2436 And Have Had Issues With It From The Time I Got It. I Would`t Buy Another One. Oneway Is Not The Only Way. The Outboard Side Has 6000 Series Bearings Which Are Smaller Than The Inboard.6200 Which Dosen`t Make Much Sence,considering, Inboard 24" Outboard 48". You Might Want To Checkout Vicmarc, They Have Tapperd Roller Bearings Which Give You More Bearing Surface, Www. Vicmarc.com Lots Of Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    I have never before heard anyone complain of a problem like that with Oneway. They are nice machines but I would be more inclined to buy something with either a sliding or swivel headstock. I'm finding that I like to be right up in front of a bowl when I'm turning.
    Our club AWA owns a oneway with a 12 inch swing. I don't know a single club member (or other demonstrator) who has really liked working on it. I also know that we have had recurrent "issues" on it... Now, in fairness and full disclosure, I am a very happy mustard monster user, but still, there are other lathes that I have liked better that the mayo monster.
    Change One Thing

I'm sure you can find wood that would unbalance a Robust lathe as well. There comes a point when you need to make sure that you have a lathe engineered for the blank you want to turn. If you're trying to find the one "ultimate" lathe for everything then you're entering on a journey with no end. The best you can do is find a lathe that is flexible enough to handle most things that you want to try. My Oneway 2436 and I'm sure the Robust are flexible enough to meet most needs. Of course if your tastes run towards bigger turnings then you should look at the older Oliver pattern maker lathes, redo the electricles on them, get the bearings in shape and you'll be able to handle projects not properly suited for a Oneway or Robust.

As for the Vicmarc...

Well, I have considered the Vicmarc, but I am not that drawn to it. I don't know why. It has nothing to do with the aesthetics, I just am not sure I want to spend $4500 on such a basic, traditional lathe. I think when I step up I would prefer to have a few more bells and whistles. Normally bells and whistles take a back seat to what I need a machine to do, but not with this time. I'd rather save up for an even better machine. Not only that, but I think that even though the Vic has tapered bearings, I am guessing that the Robust bearings would handle more. I don't know if I'm right on that one, though.

As for the other guys who are not so satisfied with Oneway, would you mind elaborating on the specific issues? Thanks.

Hutch

Funny you should mention that...

Steve:

I actually already own a lathe that's almost equivalent to an Oliver pattern maker's lathe. Check it out on the third page of "Turning Group Members and Their Lathes". Also, I know I won't be able to do absolutely everything on one lathe, I just was curious to see which lathe could be pushed the most and what each lathe's weaknessess are. If I do find myself delving into bigger and bigger work, then I would be ready to purchase a more specialized lathe, like the VB36 or an Oliver 121. Or is it 122? Anywho, I just want to see if I can have my cake and eat it too.

Hutch

Smile

Matt, Laguna Tools Make A Lathe Called The Pinnacle.it Dose Just About Every Thing. The Phone # 800.234.1976. I Talked To A Guy Named Richard Otto. He Sent Me Broshurs And A Video On All The Tools They Make. Just Another Suggetion. Happy Turning.

Matt, might do your research carefully and listen to the guys and girls who have some experience - just a suggestion. And yes, the VB is an incredible machine, it's great. I took more than a year to decide on it and never looked back, very pleased. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, you get what you pay for. Best wishes. Jude

Matt, I am a Robust American Beauty owner and love it. I have only had a chance to turn up to a couple of 24" dia. X 18 in long log to date. The machine is all Brent has told you and if I know him he hasn't bragged on himself much but let me tell you there is no better service anywhere that I have found. The VB is also a great lathe but with the exchange rate you really have to watch yourself with it's price. Mine is fully tricked out so PM me any questions and I'll be glad to get back to you. I also have a fair number of threads on here about "Beauty" so you can see her up close. I'm in Houston and would welcome you to come take a ride if you are ever here.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning