Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Call to all Robust lathe owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    I agree that at that price it better be an awesome machine.

Now, I am a new member to this site, and I don't know everyone very well, but I hope I haven't deeply wounded my fellow turners. I am not trying to Oneway bash. I do believe they are excellent lathes, but I honestly feel that for their prices they should be better. Especially considering how many years they have had to tweak and refine their features and engineering. That being said, if Robust lives up to what they say they can do, I think the extra cost is worth it. Moreso for one who will be using it for their full income. That one being me. If I put up $5000.00 for a machine that will do almost anything, but could have spent $2000.00 more and gotten a lathe that can do everything, then it's worth it. That's my philosophy. Now I just need to get someone to corroborate or disprove my findings. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't know how much mass a Oneway can handle. Of course, there's always the VB36, but that's too specialized for my fledgling business.

Thanks y'all.

Hutch
    I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here, but I've seen beautiful work done on everything from home made machines to mega expensive lathes like the Robust or Oneway. But I've always had the impression that it was the person standing at the lathe that made the biggest difference.

I also think that if you're expecting the brand or price of mass of a lathe to compensate for trying to turn something too big or too far out of balance, there's a good chance you're going to get hurt.

Don't know if that's corroborating or disproving anything but it's just the basic laws of physics.

Curt, you are absolutely correct that great work can be done on almost any lathe. What folks get when they choose to go to a custom machine (which is what Robust, Stubby, OneWay, etc., all are) is the next level of smoothness and far more weight and mass than you get with almost all mass-produced tools today. That contributes to smoothness and also allows for more creative situations, especially with off-balance work. It's just a choice, however, and each turner needs to judge what they want in a lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill I wouldn't forgo any of the bells I now have but I did not get the tailstock bore but wish I had. I could have already used it. I just did not know it was available then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    I...Chris - I too like the American Beauty - you got all the bells - any you would defer just because you haven't used as much as maybe you thought? Did you get the tailstock bore option?...
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    ...... I just don't know how much mass a Oneway can handle. Hutch
    Plenty.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1182314305
    Only the Blue Roads

Nice Andy. Is he turning a toothpick??? That's about the size log I need for them.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

I did see on another forum that Laguna has an 18 inch lathe with a sliding headstock, long bed, maybe 60 inches, and 2 hp DC motor for about $1600. Looks interesting. I did look at the Serious lathe, but no sliding headstock. Did look at the Woodtec lathe, but their tools all seem to be given fair ratings, never good, in the tool reviews.
    robo hippy

lathe

When it comes down to it, is it(really the lathe or the skill of the turner?).

Roy (JET 14-42 AND LOVE IT)

PS: A NEWBIE

I'm Back

I was gone for a couple days, but now I can respond.

First of all, I would appreciate if you who respond to my postings actually read what I have written.

Secondly, I know the skill of the turner has a lot to do with it. I am looking for a machine that will give me the most options for growth. I am aware of the Woodtek, Laguna Pinnacle, and Serious. They don't seem to be as versatile...except maybe the Woodtec. But I do appreciate the heads up about these.

Also, earlier I mentioned the Oliver 121 or 122....I meant the 22 like is shown in M Toupin's posting. Actually, one was for sale about a month ago. Probably still is. There is also an Oliver with 24" swing and 22 feet between centers for sale. You just need $18,000!!!!

Frank, about the whole full time issue. I don't haven't corporate anything in my life. Never will. No degree. Besides, I am 27 and have mostly worked for myself up to now. I love it!!! Plus, I am married, but have no children. It makes the risk worth it because I don't have many expenses. However, as the business is getting off the ground I do have a part time job at a learning center teaching math and reading. And the area I am in has enough work to support a specialized business like a woodturning shop. Goodness knows money and benefits are great, especially when you have a family, but I am content to live without them for the time being. So is my wife. Granted both of us would love to have them right now, but I have an opportunity that I don't want to pass up. If I were in your shoes I would feel the same way. That's partly why I am going for it now. Ten years from now I would not be able to take the risk.
    I am also am one of those people who like this philosophy: Find what you love to do, and figure out how to get paid for it.

To Andy Hoyt: I see what you mean. However, that piece is still only a couple hundred pounds. But that is the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks.

Brian: The Oliver I was purchasing was a metal spinning lathe. It was a great deal, but I had to withdraw my offer (which they had accepted) because a debt that has been looming over me for 5 years finally called me out. So I have to pay them...NOW. Ouch. But that's what I get for postponing paying them. It's still possible I could get it, but I think another person who is interested in it has made an acceptable offer. It makes me so sad.....

I thank everyone for their contibutions thus far. I find it exciting and informative to have people so interested. And please, keep the opinions and information coming.

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 11-03-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Matt, I think your philosophy is a good one. I am not at a point where I would go full time for woodturning but I have been able to make some money to support my habit. Depending on what your market is, the Robust sounds like a good choice, especially considering what you already have as a lathe. Keep us updated.
    Ben

Matt, here are a few pics that may help you in your quest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And a few more...

It may not be a VB but it is tough... Hope these help.

Chris,

I see a Mustard in the back. Is he saving that for the big logs?
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

All the above considered it seems to break down into:

(1) High quality large capacity spindle/bowl lathe: Oneway, Robust, Vicmarc

(2) High quality larger capacity bowl lathe with spindle capacity: Stubby

(3) Super bowl lathe: VB36

(4) Various other monsters

All are high quality machines from folks that care about making a high quality product. All have users that are devoted, helpful and willing to share with others. There are no "right" choices and all will allow you to take your talent forward without limit!

Cheers - Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Yessiree

Bill, I thoroughly agree with you.

Also, the president of Robust e-mailed me and is concerned that I am flirting with danger. Don't worry, I really am concerned with safety. That is, in fact, one of the reasons why I am asking about such large capacities. If I find out what the limits of a lathe are now, then I won't even try to do those kind of pieces on that specific lathe. I am very safety oriented, truly. I just don't want you all to think that I am a crazed "bigophile". I just got really excited when I saw that a VB36 could turn a 700 lb piece outboard. I wanted to see if a different, more versatile lathe could do anything close to that. That's really the long and the short of it.

TAKE NOTICE: I simply won't try something outlandish on a non-plain-bearing lathe. It would just be stupid.

So, with that finally addressed, I hope you all will rest assured that I am not a suicidal turner.

Thanks again.

Hutch

P.S. It doesn't help that I have a friend with a lathe on which he turns 44" diameter bowls inboard. He does this on an old Pryibil lathe. After reading and hearing things through postings in this thread, I think I can assume that the VB is about the only machine that can match the lathes of old. But that's exactly what I have been trying to find out.