Thread: Entertainment Center Plans?

Entertainment Center Plans?

I'm thinking about building an entertainment center for my son. Nothing very large and I would really like to look at some corner cabinet plans.
    Anyone know where to find plans? I've already looked at WoodCraft and Woodsmith. Only one corner between the two.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim Guy

I have two books on entertainment centers. I am using those to design my own setup for an EC. So far, I have enough interested to make THREE EC's. I looked through the books and didn't see anything of the "corner" design.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis,

Which two EC books do you have and what do you think of them? Which, if any, would you recommend?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Jim, I will be getting a commission to build a corner cabinet in the forseeable future, I think. I would be happy to share my design with you at that point if you are interested. It will be of traditional style construction.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guy
    I'm thinking about building an entertainment center for my son. Nothing very large and I would really like to look at some corner cabinet plans.
    Anyone know where to find plans? I've already looked at WoodCraft and Woodsmith. Only one corner between the two.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim Guy
    Jim, I just took a quick look through my collection of woodworking plans under the heading "entertainment center" and I found several references. One of these is a corner entertainment center from Wood Magazine #104 (March 1998), pp. 64-71. The article was written by Marlen Kemmet, who was (still may be, I don't know) a senior Editor for Wood, and the designer was Jim Downing, also of Wood magazine.
    If you don't have a copy of that magazine, I'd be glad to send you a photocopy.
    Over the years I have collected a lot of plans and articles from woodworking magazines. What makes them accessible is that I have painstakingly catalogued each article on a computerized database for easy searching. I've got over 3,000 articles and plans in my database now.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    Dennis,

Which two EC books do you have and what do you think of them? Which, if any, would you recommend?
    Kent,

I have:

Build Your Own Entertainment Centers by Andy Schultz
    Entertainment Centers You Can Make by Paul Gerhards

Both books are good. The best one IMHO is the Andy Schultz book. BUT, if you combine BOTH books into one?.....then you have what I would consider a GREAT book. There is more drawings and design ideas in the Paul Gerhards book, but the Schultz book is better overall.

Great ideas from both books.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Wood article

Steve - I was able to find the Wood site and the article on the corner cabinet but did not see how to place an order for that back issue.
    Am I missing something or does Wood just not offer back issues that old?
    Thanks

Dennis - Thanks for your replay. Where do you think I could find the Andy Schultz book. While there is not any corner plans I'm sure I could still find help there. Also, if I'm not mistaken I was in a tablesaw class Andy gave at the Columbus, OH. Woodworks show.

-

Tod - I would be very interested in seeing your plans. The more help the better. I have always enjoyed your input at this site.

Thanks everyone for your input.
    Jim

Steve - I was able to find the Wood site and the article on the corner cabinet but did not see how to place an order for that back issue.
    Am I missing something or does Wood just not offer back issues that old?
    Thanks
    That I don't know, but you could e-mail them and ask, I guess. Were you able to see a picture of the entertainment center, so you know whether you're really interested in that design? If not, I could scan that one page and post it to this thread.

Steve - I was not able to view any plan at all. If you could post that it would be great.
    Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for your thoughts Dennis. A custom EC is in my near future so I will buy both books.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Steve - I was not able to view any plan at all. If you could post that it would be great.
    I scanned one page of the Wood Magazine article with the corner EC, but am having trouble attaching the .jpg file. When I click on the Add This File button, it gives me an error message saying that the page cannot be displayed. I may have to try this again from home. All the security stuff here at work may not allow the attachment, although I routinely send attachments, including .jpg's, every day. I'll fiddle around with it, and if I don't succeed here at work, I'll try at home.

Here we go again. I guess it's a matter of getting the file size small enough. I was not able to preview the picture, so I'm not confident regarding the image quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I apologize for the pixelated appearance of that scanned page. Here is another try at a much lower resolution. I can't seem to preview the results on-line, however, so I don't know whether this is an improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images