Thread: My tricks for installing

My tricks for installing

drawer glides on the drawers and in the case.
    First, I place the assembled slide on the side of the drawer. Flush in the front and about a sixteenth below the drawer bottom. This will provide clearance between the drawer and the face frame. Slide the assembly open and predrill with a centering bit to attach. Fasten the rail to the drawer and then remove the slide. Repeat for the other side.
    Next, I place the cabinet on it's back on a level table. Fasten the slide flush with the front of the face frame (assuming overlay drawers) and resting on the lower edge of the opening. Repeat for the other side.
    Then install the drawer onto the slides carefully. Extend the drawer out of the case and place boards of the same thickness under each side to support the drawer causing it to square itself with the face frame. A secondary feature of this is that the slides are now properly positioned without any measuring. If you are using rear mounting brackets, snap them on and attach them to the back. If your slides are mounted to the side wall, drill them and screw them fast.
    Remove the supports and lower the drawer into place. I think you will be happy with the results.
    A tip for those mounting their slides on the side walls, screw through the ends of the free tabs just in case your cabinet size varies a bit. The tabs will allow some inward movement without compromising location or strength.

Ed

Ed,
    This is a brilliant idea - and not a moment too soon. I will be installing about 30 pair of these on some cabinets and it will be the first time I will be using them.
    Thanks,
    Lee