Thread: Grizzly 10'' Hybrid Cabinet saw

Grizzly 10'' Hybrid Cabinet saw

I just received my Grizzly Go478 Hybrid saw and was lovingly putting it together only to find out I was missing the two handles for the adjustment wheels. I placed a call to customer service and was told that they would be more than happy to send them out, but they are on back order till Dec, 31st. Ouch, no big deal. I can deal with that. My question to everyone is. My shop is wired for 220 vac and so I rewired the motor as it showed in the manual. Unfortunely, I did not see the warning about the magnetic switch also being required to also being changed out and that resulted in the switch burning out after a few minutes. I called C/S again only to find out that if I wanted to have the saw operate on 220vac, I would need to purchase a new magnetic switch ($80.00) anyway, because it is required to use for 220vac. I would like to have been ask this question prior to purchasing the saw, that way I could have bought it at the same time and not have to wait an additional 3-5 days for the part. Has anyone else made this silly error, and were you asked (when you ordered you equipment) if you had intentions to run your equipment on the higher voltage?
    Thanks for listening, Steve

Steve,
    I am a big fan of Grizzly tools and have 9-10 stationary Grizzly tools. This does not sound like the normal way Grizzly does business. I would hope they would not have shipped a new table saw without including the wheel handles, and then when you call, backorder them for a long time. Also most 110/220 saws will work without having to change the on/off switch. That, in itself seems like poor business. I know that Mr.Balobia reads this forum, and maybe he can shed light on the matter for you. I know I would be upset, if I had shelled out $725.00 for a saw, an then have to add $80.00 more to make work with 220, which most woodworker's use.
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 11-06-2007 at 5:22 PM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Very strange. The wiring diagram on page 47 of the manual shows a single magnetic switch, and shows how to wire it for either 110v or 220v -- with no mention of needing a different switch for 220v. Nor does the online description of the saw mention anything about having to change the switch to use 220v operation.

There is a small "NOTICE" box on page 11 of the manual that says: "The model G0478 is prewired for 110v operation. If you plan to rewire your machine for 220v, you must use a different magnetic switch." But I can see how it would be easy to miss that. And the wiring diagram on page 47 clearly shows the same switch used for both 110v and 220v!

Given that they highlight the dual-voltage capability (first item in the "incredible features and specs" on the web page), and that the wiring diagram shows the same switch being connected to either 110v or 220v, I think I'd be a little upset at finding out an additional switch was needed.

Grizzly is normally very fair and reasonable -- I would call customer service again and really discuss the problem with them. I'll bet you can come to some accommodation for a new switch.

4. Steven - I am pretty tied up, but will try to get this resolved for you tomorrow (at no cost to you). Relax, things will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Steven - I am pretty tied up, but will try to get this resolved for you tomorrow (at no cost to you). Relax, things will be good.
    Steven - In case you're not aware of it, Shiraz (aka Papa Griz) is the head of Grizzly....you're going to get the best CS you can imagine.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I LOVE GRIZZLY!

The equipment's good, the service is amazing. To have the CEO respond--well, it's practically unheard of outside a mom and pop operation, which Big G certainly is not.

Quote Originally Posted by John Browne View Post
    I LOVE GRIZZLY!

The equipment's good, the service is amazing. To have the CEO respond--well, it's practically unheard of outside a mom and pop operation, which Big G certainly is not.
    It is truly a win-win situation. Customers get great service, and Mr. Balolia keeps his finger on the pulse of the company (customer-service).

Mr. Balolia,
    I must say, I am extremely pleased that you have responded to my posting. It only strenghthens the positive feedback of other woodworkers I have talked to. My intial reference to Grizzly was my brother Ken Glass, who owns several of Grizzlys tools. I must also say that when an owner of a company takes such interest in his customers, it goes to show he has not forgotten about the little guy. I greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter and will await your response.

Smile

Mr. Balolia,
    I must say, I am extremely pleased that you have responded to my posting. It only strenghthens the positive feedback of other woodworkers I have talked to in regards to the customer care and service. My intial reference to Grizzly was my brother Ken Glass, who owns several of Grizzlys tools. I must also say that when an owner of a company takes such interest in his customers, it goes to show he has not forgotten about the little guy. I greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter and will await your response.

Steve Glass

p.s. Thanks to all that responded. What a great forum!!
    Last edited by Steven Glass; 11-07-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Another reason I consider Grizzly on my list when purchasing new equipment. I've got a new cabinet saw in my sights before the end of the year and Griz is on top.