Thread: porch roof design

porch roof design

I am designing a porch and roof for my house, and the porch door sits in the inside of a 90 angle of the house (if that makes sense, imagine an 'L' shape with the L being walls and the porch being on the 'inside' of the L. I want to keep it dry and be able to use it when it rains. However, the roofs slope down towards the L, and I am having a difficult time coming up with a design that will create a tight fit between the new porch roof and the existing house roof. Suggestions on the orientation of the roof?

Also, the roof awning is 9'6" above the slab for the deck, so if i were to create a shingle roof that would extend 12 feet out for the deck, it would need to drop 3 feet, and make it only 6'6" high at the end of the deck, which isn't acceptable unless you want people to worry about walking into it. I need to new roofing to match the color of the shingles currently on the roof. Are there any roofing materials that could maybe run a 1" drop per a 12 foot run, and I could get to match in color the existing roof?

I think my only alternative would be to make a new porch roof, slope it back towards the house and catch both the runoff from my house and the runoff from the porch roof in one gutter, and hope for the best in it not leaking during a storm. Also, for the other joint that the roof is not sloping towards, i would most likely need to leave a gap and abandon the thought of it being water tight.

I will post some SU pictures later when I get home. Hopefully they can explain visually better than I can verbally.

Rob Will Guest
    I would integrate the porch roof into both of the existing roofs.
    One side will have a pitch change and flow in the same direction as the roof it is attached to. The end of the porch where it meets the other roof will be a valley. Sorry if I don't understand the question.

Rob