Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biesemeyer on Jet? Bad Xacta Fence design

I glued mine on with contact cement and they have been there for about 5 years with a lot of use and still holding strong. Jet sent me some with tabs on them but I didnt want to take the time to drill for them. Matt

Any of you guys with an xacta fence that you want to get rid of feel free to PM me, I could use one.
    Last edited by Andrew Nemeth; 12-10-2007 at 12:55 AM.

3. Reviving a very old thread, I just ordered some 1/8 inch hdpe sheet that I'm going to try to glue to my xacta fence where it rides on rail. I'm going try some e6000 glue. I looked at a parts blow up online and it shows another pad on the bottom of the fence( where it rides on the saw top). Mine doesn't have a pad . Any idea if there's supposed to be one? how thick?

Thanks
    Tom

4. Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Charles Williams View Post
    Reviving a very old thread, I just ordered some 1/8 inch hdpe sheet that I'm going to try to glue to my xacta fence where it rides on rail. I'm going try some e6000 glue. I looked at a parts blow up online and it shows another pad on the bottom of the fence( where it rides on the saw top). Mine doesn't have a pad . Any idea if there's supposed to be one? how thick?

Thanks
    Tom
    Scratch the e6000, probably use contact cement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Charles Williams View Post
    Reviving a very old thread, I just ordered some 1/8 inch hdpe sheet that I'm going to try to glue to my xacta fence where it rides on rail. I'm going try some e6000 glue. I looked at a parts blow up online and it shows another pad on the bottom of the fence( where it rides on the saw top). Mine doesn't have a pad . Any idea if there's supposed to be one? how thick?

Thanks
    Tom
    I agree with Andrew. E6000 is great for so many things but, remains somewhat flexible. Clean the HDPE and the underside of he fence tube with naphtha (lighter fluid) or alcohol. Apply the contact cement (I buy in small quantities as it goes south pretty quick) wait as per the directions and stick together. Apply pressure. Hand pressure is usually fine for small items; a spring clamp would be fine as well.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-18-2022 at 7:00 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

6. Thanks for the reply, is there another friction pad further down the fence, or does it just ride on the hdpe rails? My saw top has some light scratches, probably just need to smooth off the bottom of the rails

I don't know the exact fence design, but if I'm thinking about what you're trying to do correctly, I use UHMW tape for similar applications. They also make a high bond version if you really want it on there (that's what I use to shim runners on sleds).

https://www.mcmaster.com/tape/low-friction-uhmw-tape-8

I don't think I've seen 1/8" thick on McMaster, but I suspect you could find it elsewhere.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I don't know the exact fence design, but if I'm thinking about what you're trying to do correctly, I use UHMW tape for similar applications. They also make a high bond version if you really want it on there (that's what I use to shim runners on sleds).

https://www.mcmaster.com/tape/low-friction-uhmw-tape-8

I don't think I've seen 1/8" thick on McMaster, but I suspect you could find it elsewhere.

I'm just replacing with the thickness that was already on mine, only 1 of 2 is missing.It actually looks it's glued on with polyurethane. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I bought my saw well used, so no idea if these are factory. There is even a thinner strip of it glued on the cam lock surface. I emailed jpw today, but haven't heard back

Thanks again

9. Pics of hdpe and fence

CanÂ’t figure out how to post pics( maybe I donÂ’t have enough posts). But my fence is xacta and not xacta2. And the little square of hdpe maybe held on with contact cement, but the strip on the clamping surface is almost certainly held on by polyurethane ( itÂ’s foamy), anyway a jwp rep is responding to my email

Thanks

10. Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Charles Williams View Post
    I'm just replacing with the thickness that was already on mine, only 1 of 2 is missing.It actually looks it's glued on with polyurethane. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I bought my saw well used, so no idea if these are factory. There is even a thinner strip of it glued on the cam lock surface. I emailed jpw today, but haven't heard back

Thanks again
    Actually it's only 1/16 inch thick ( which is what I ordered). The tape might would be easier. I bought 2 12" x 12" sheets for $8 delivered, so I should have a lifetime supply

CanÂ’t figure out how to post pictures

Thanks
    Become a contributor.

12. I just got through reading that. Any way the jpw rep replied and said the pads were obsolete, suggested felt pads; but IÂ’ll try the contact cement for a while and if I get fed up IÂ’ll do the drill method

13. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Become a contributor.
    I contributed, still can't upload pics

14. I think I got it now. Had to clear cookies and cache and select "remember me" when logging in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the reply, is there another friction pad further down the fence, or does it just ride on the hdpe rails? My saw top has some light scratches, probably just need to smooth off the bottom of the rails
    This is a photo of an early 90’s Xacta fence. I bought the saw in 1993 new.
    The pad is an 1/8” thick pad, and you can get them everywhere. There’s nothing exotic about them.

141412CE-F187-4FF0-9F16-4AEDBFAE103A.jpg

As a caution to anyone upgrading their fence system, use counter sunk screws to attach the front “L” bracket. Do not use hex head bolts. You’ll only ever do it once.��
    Those can really hurt your fingers when repositioning the fence.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-23-2022 at 9:08 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)