Thread: Minor Gloat

Talking Minor Gloat

I just received my DC tonight. Plans are for installing it this weekend. There was some minor damage to the sawdust drum that will be replaced. Also waiting for the filters to be drop shipped. Will see how it all turns out.

I will be posting pictures, like some one else did, but it will be a little slower due to the need to hang some steel as supports (will also show that).

Some major gloats are coming out shortly but save that for another series of posts. By the way, thanks for all the information on the forum. This has been quite useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, congrats Robert! Nothing like an efficient dust sucker to help keep the place clean and you've got a LOT of place to keep clean! BUT, I really am getting tired of seeing all you guys with these heavy-duty equipment movers! You sure you're not related to Becker?! (Sorry Jim, couldn't resist!) Keep us posted on progress!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

We both used to work for the same company (different parts of the country).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ducharme
    We both used to work for the same company (different parts of the country).
    Actually, I still do work for the "same company"...it will be many years before I get to retire!

Congrats on the new cyclone. I'm in Westminster next week...if I can get away, perhaps I'll try to arrange a visit and check things out. No promises, however. We're flying in a customer and there will undoubtedly be some shmoozing necessary, even after hours...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    We're flying in a customer and there will undoubtedly be some shmoozing necessary, even after hours...
    Somehow, I really do see you as the consummate "shmoozer"! Good luck on the deal.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Interesting fork attachments. Are those homemade or purchased? I'm looking for something similar for my new tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Congrats on the new cyclone. I'm in Westminster next week....
    Hey, cool...I'm originally from Broomfield...too bad I'm not there. Do you ever get out to the left coast, Jim?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-12-2004 at 9:03 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ducharme
    I just received my DC tonight.
    Robert,

I can't quite tell what brand of DC you got so I guess I will be checking the board all weekend in hopes you posted!! I hope the install goes smoothly for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Hey, cool...I'm originally from Broomfield...too bad I'm not there. Do you ever get out to the left coast, Jim?
    It's been awhile since I've been on the left coast (which is exactly what I call it). I still have one cousin east of SF who works for Chevron/Phillips, although his parents, my aunt and uncle recently moved back to PA from Winsor CA and their other son left Petaluma for Chicago with a new job. Since I have a couple of peers in CA, it's a little harder to get a "ticket" out there for a customer presentation, etc., but I'd never turn one down... Corporate travel policies are still tough on things like that. Texas seems to be a more popular destination these days for me for some reason, although I'm visiting Des Moines week after next.

I did spend a couple of weeks "right around the corner" from you in San José at the end of 1996 for a bunch of Bay Networks training...hee hee
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bay Networks??? hahahahaha...we had them for lunch YEARS ago! One of my colleagues is an old Bay Networker himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Interesting fork attachments. Are those homemade or purchased? I'm looking for something similar for my new tractor.

I cannot remember now where I purchased them from. I believe it was a standard tractor dealer. Check most tractor stores and they have them.

The picture shows the two forks on each other with the lip on the top hooking onto the bottom edge of the bucket blade. The chain is clamped around the bucket to the top of the bucket with a clamp. Quite often the chain is at the very back of the bar. I cut mine off and rewelded it more towards the front so that when it clamps down, it pulls back and not up.

These are very useful but the disadvantages are:
    • Impossible to keep straight if hit from the side while no load in on the fork.
    • Very hard to see with the bucket in the way
    • Since so far forward on the tractor, harder to lift extremely heavy things without having people stand on the blade in the back (sorry no pictures of that exciting evolution).
    • Even with the pull back, you MUST be careful they do not move forward and slip off the lip - that lip is not very big.

I am going to be making a metal (NOT WOOD - SORRY) bracket to actually allow the forks / bracket to be attached to the mount points instead of the bucket. If interested, I will post that later (much later in the year).

All in all, very glad I have these units.

Chris,

The DC is an Oneida 3 HP unit. Have it unboxed as shown.

Very pretty, Robert...very pretty. You sure have a lot of space there! *jealous* Have you met or do you know Clarke Echols? He lives in Loveland...I met him over Thanksgiving while I was picking up portions of a DC he is working on with Bill Pentz.