Thread: Chipped tooth on TS2000 blade

Chipped tooth on TS2000 blade

I just had a disaster in my shop. I was drilling holes for an MJ splitter on my table saw's zero clearance insert when the little metal doughnut I had screwed onto the drillbit for a stop suddenly slipped and the drill bit went too far and chipped a tooth on my brand new Ridge Carbide TS2000 10" TS blade. Did I just ruin this wonderful blade?

Unfortunate, but not ruined!

The chipped tooth many not even cause a noticeable problem, but it's best to have it checked. Any good resharpener should be able to replace the tooth, and the bruise to your pride will heal! ....I'd send it to Ridge Carbide...they have an excellent reputation as a sharpener and are more familiar with the original specs than anyone.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

For the price of a new blade just send it on over here an I'll see you get taken care of

More serious answer: If you can take a picture of the chip and send it to me or post it I can most likely tell if you can wait until the blade is dull before you send it off to have it fixed or it's possible you may never need to replace the tooth.
    Scott
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Whiting View Post
    For the price of a new blade just send it on over here an I'll see you get taken care of

More serious answer: If you can take a picture of the chip and send it to me or post it I can most likely tell if you can wait until the blade is dull before you send it off to have it fixed or it's possible you may never need to replace the tooth.
    I can't take a photo of it, but I can describe it. The TS2000 has three kinds of teeth. Some rake to the left, some to the right, and some are flat and rake both sides. The chipped tooth rakes the right side of the kerf and the chipped out area is on the left. The chip looks like someone took a bite out of the left, non-raking corner of the tooth.

Send it back to Ridge. get it sharpened and they will replace the tooth for $5.00. At least that is what I paid to have one fixed year ago. It came back better than new.

John really knows his stuff.

CPeter

There are maybe 50 to 100 really top end tool shops in the country. These folks are the best of the best at tool design, manufacture and repair. Scott is definitely one of these although I don’t imagine he would ever say so.

Something to consider is that repairing a blade is different than making it new in many ways. Shops, such as Scott’s, sharpen industrial tools from major plants and see thousands of different styles of tools that have all sorts of damage done to them. This gives them a depth and breadth of expertise hard to find elsewhere.

Ridge is an excellent company but, if you are lucky enough to know a truly excellent sharpener you can generally get a job as good for the same price and much faster.

They are replaceable and it's not expensive~!!

I have used Ridge and Forrest Both are good.