Thread: Danish Oil Poly Blend on Cherry????

Danish Oil Poly Blend on Cherry????

I while back a built a cherry project that I did a Watco Danish Oil mixed with some poly finish on it. After the oil dried I waxed the piece. I liked the finish then and now 3 years later I really love it. Problem is I never really wrote down what I did and what my mix was.

As far as I can recall, I used a light card scraper to do a final smoothing of the piece (I was in an anti sandpaper phase then) Then I did a coat of straight danish oil, wiped it down and let it sit for a few days. Then I sanded with more danish oil and 800 grit wet sand paper. Then it sat, then I mixed 1 part poly to 6 parts Danish oil and did 4 more coats. when everything was dry I waxed the peice. The finsh was kind of a satin look, that was very soft and natural (you can't tell poly was used). I found the peice very easy to maintain over the years and the finish has always been great to touch.

Do this soudn like good finish?

You are varying the oil to varnish proportions a little. That won't have much effect but won't hurt. But even so, you don't want to let a film dry on the surface. After sanding in the finish, you still need to wipe off all excess so that no film forms on the surface. Even modestly reinforced with additional varnish the oil/varnish mix would be literally soft, not just soft in appearance. If you want to build a surface film use a straight wiping varnish so the film will dry hard. Waterlox is a good one, and come in Satin and well as the more semi-gloss Original/Sealer.