Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: the best tools or good enough?

I freely admit I'm of two (or maybe several) minds on this subject. On the one hand, I don't mind spending big bucks on something that I want and know I'll use, like the laser. On the other hand, it annoys me to no end to spend a fraction of that amount of money for something I wouldn't use on a regular basis.
    The current symptom of that syndrome is, I'd really like to have a decent bandsaw to resaw thin inlay stock to feed to the laser...but it would probably only get turned on once a month or so to make stock for the next batch of plaques or boxes or whatever. Yes, I know there are a bunch of neat things you can do with a bandsaw besides resawing, but I don't want to get into the mode of doing project X instead of project Y just because it keeps some expensive tool busy so I won't feel like I wasted money buying it. And on the third hand, I'm having trouble convincing myself that there is a machine that hits the overlap between what I want to do with it and my economic comfort zone.

What it comes down to is, I wish there was a local woodworking "hobby shop" where I could rent time on equipment that's either too expensive (or too big) for me to justify owning.

In most cases I do finish work with hand tools. So, the machines can be what I would call good "value." I would rather spend money on good hand tools. I would not want to waste money on the cheapest machines, however, I think the best and most expensive machines are for others. They won't make my woodworking any more enjoyable.

John

This may be a bit philosophical but, I think we all started woodworking with tools that were less than we wanted. I know I did but, we all have to start somewhere. About 26 years ago, I built my first project (outside of junior high school shop) with hand tools and Sears hand drill, router and belt sander in the kitchen and back porch of a townhouse. That project still sits in my family room today and is used daily. It is important to achieve quality woodworking and unless we just wish to be tool collectors, tools are just the means to achieve those results.

My advice is to not drop this very productive and educational hobby because of the perceived need to purchase only expensive tools. Purchase what you can afford and are willing to spend to enjoy your hobby. No hobby should ever stress you financially as that defeats the very purpose of it. As your skills, confidence, and love for woodworking grows you will likely replace the tools you have with better quality tools or tools of greater capacity and may even go through this cycle several times. Whatever you have in your shop, most people will look at what you accomplish with awe.
    Steve

You need to get good quality that so you will enjoy using the tool....pride of ownership....as in your work... Some tools are not really a good value...either oo expensive , they don't deliver or just junk.... SMC is a good source of input...I would ask about each individual purchase... I feel most of my tools exceed my abilities...that is good....I can grow into them...and continue to appreciate them...we are all learning. You don't want the tools to be the limiting factor in your work.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Zahid. It appears that your thread was just waiting for a resurgance.
    Lots of good info and advice in this thread. I don't think I have anything to add that hasn't already been stated.
    My tools, for the most part are middle of the road ,hobbiest quality. I like fiddlin' with stuff, and I have access to the materials and machinery to make a part if I need it, or modify a machine design inadequacy with little or no cash outlay so I don't need the "best" quality tool, but that's me.
    I've always kind of believed, that as your experience rises you will better know what you actually need from a tool, and be able to select the most appropiate that you can afford, within reason. As your projects evolve and become more complex, or require a finer touch, this will also direct your selection of tools.
    My latest project has involved a lot of "fine tuning" with hand tools, and mine are woefully inadequate, so it would appear that I'll be looking into handtools soon, especially good mortise and firmer chisel sets, a quality shoulder plane would be nice too. I actually found it relaxing to do the handwork this time around. I used to consider the 'neander stuff a necessary drudgery. Who knows, maybe I'm staring to mature a little bit. Next thing ya' know I'll be taking up golf
    As of this point in my woodworking endeavor, I'd rather spend my money on the wood and finishing supplies. and actually make something. It's like MJ said "Just Do It"
    My thoughts and ramblings on the subject. Thanks for the thread Zahid

Gadgets

Zahid, one bit of advice I can offer that hasn't been mentioned yet is to avoid spending money on gadgets. Woodworking lends itself to gadgetry - there's a slick, whiz-bang gadget that's a guaranteed shortcut for almost any task you can imagine - for a price; and they all look wonderful and useful in the store. I've succumbed to gadget temptation more times than I care to count. When I look around my shop, it's the gadgets that lie around unused and take up space. The basic, time-tested tools get used every day. My advice is to stick to the basics and learn to do it the right way. Later, after you've learned and honed your skills, you may find a gadget that will really prove useful. Buy it then. Meanwhile, dont' waste your money on things you'll use once or twice and then throw in a drawer for the rest of eternity. Buy the real stuff, and buy the best you can afford. It doesn't have to be the best made, but quality tools do make a difference in both your results and your enjoyment of the work.
    Good luck. You've embarked on a wonderful journey. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I'm with Hank on the gadget comment, except for honing guides. I recently attended a wood working school, the instructor insisted that we learn how to sharpen chisels without using a honing guide. My gut said that was nonsense, but since I was the newbie and he was the expert I went along with the drill, spending HOURS flattening and sharpening chisels. Never again, once I left the school I went out and bought a guide. This is a gaget that is worth its weight in gold!

Jay

Jay, I agree.

Honing guides are "tools," buy a good one.

I am new to this forum, but like everyone else I started making sawdust with the bare mininum in tools. Over the past 35 years I have acculmated quite an array of power tools and hand tools, some I purchased new and some used. I don"t know if they have garage sales in your area, but I have bought many a tool (almost new) for very little money at these sales.About 30 years ago one of the first new tools I bought was a radial arm saw that I still have today. This past summer I hade to enlarge my shop just to fit all the tools i have acculmated over the years.....bottom line take your time....it will come!