Thread: Old Pine flor boards

Old Pine flor boards

So I am getting ready to pull up some of my attic floor to put down some insulation and am thinking of keeping a few of the boards up to make a blanket chest with.

Old growth pine about 200 years old been nailed down a long time, average board is 14-16 inches wide and 10-14 feet long. They were nailed down with square cut nails, if I use this wood I will leave the holes as a link to the heritage of this wood. Should I just block the back and fill the holes with clear epoxy? How would you clean the boards before planing them?

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

I'd save the nails and put them back in, maybe cutting the excess off so that you leave the head in place. Maybe even save some to use in the construction of the chest, could look pretty cool.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I did something similar once and positioned the nail holes to match the joinery and filled them with reproduction rose-head forged nails. Then I drilled and spaced the remainder of the nails to match the existing holes and make the chest appear it was originally nailed together.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

You could fine someone with a wide belt sander to dress the dirty side. Offer a six-pack and a new belt.

Todd

I am making a spice cabinet from some cherry boards that used to be cabinets in my wife's family farmhouse years ago (farm is a wal-mart now). I am leaving the holes and their slight discoloration as evidence of their provenance. It will make a good story for my niece to tell of where the wood came from (hopefully she will also credit uncle mike for the woodwork too!)
    Mike

I used some old heart-of-pine floorboards for my kitchen table and filled the nail holes with epoxy tinted brown. The holes were about 3/16" diameter and there's probably 10 of them in the top.

A stiff wire brush did a pretty good job in getting out the sand and grit, but I just assumed that planing the stuff was going to be hard on the knives. Old old growth pine can be as tough as nails (no pun intended).

My $0.02.... check and double check for nails before working the boards with any machinery. Sounds like it will make a great chest.

I have some 100 year old heart pine from an old house in Al. I took a hose and scrub brush and went to town. Used my metal detector to get all the nails out planned and sanded, I have made a table and china hutch so far and the LOML has more planned for it!! Matt

Would love to see some pictures of some projects made from this old pine, I am wondering what the pantina looks like.

Thanks for all the input I think I will should get to work on my project.

Dave