Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nail Gun Accidents (* X-rays *)

Nail Gun Accidents (* X-rays *)

As was requested, here are some x-rays I've gathered together over the years showing the results of nail gun accidents. All of these are real x-rays. These are posted as reminders that we all need to be careful out there; whether actually using them, working near them, or just passing by. These 8 people were lucky enough to survive their accidents, many with little residual side effects.

Be well (and safe),

Doc

Here are the accompanying stories (edited to shorten post):

1: A 58-year-old carpenter was working while a colleague working above him fired nails into a board. The board broke, accidentally propelling a galvanized nail into the patient's skull. He presented without any evidence of brain damage. The nail was removed and he remains well with no ill effects.

2: A nail gun blasted a 3-inch nail right through the top of his head, piercing his brain from one side to the other. In a delicate, hour-long operation, doctors were able to remove the nail. To their amazement, no evidence of brain damage was found. The victim is expected to return to work within a week.

3: A 30 year-old construction worker was working when a nail from the nail gun he was using ricocheted off a slab of concrete and lodged itself in his brain. The worker remained conscious, and amazingly in little pain, during the transit to the hospital. Once there surgeons took 2 hours to remove the nail. Post operatively he showed no deficits and had an excellent prognosis for full recovery.

4: A 31 year-old construction worker underwent emergency surgery to remove a 3 inch nail from his right wrist. The worker was nailing a joist above his head, holding it with his right hand, when the nail gun slipped firing the nail into his wrist, below his thumb. The tip of the nail was visible just under the skin surface while the head protruded out the other side. The nail immobilzed his wrist by fusing 3 bones together. Surgeons were able to remove the nail and suspect full recovery.

5: A 27 year-old man inadvertently discharged a nail gun into the thumb of his left hand. The nail traversed the thumb. Movement of the joint was present but limited. Radiographs revealed that the retained nail was above the bone with no evidence of an associated fracture.

6: A 23 year-old worker was shot with a nail when the nail gun his father was using accidentally discharged, shooting a three and a half inch nail into his left femur. When the paramedics arrived at the scene, they found him conscious and alert though unable to bend his leg. The Fire Chief said they were able to stabilize his leg and transported him to a Boston-area hospital where surgeons removed the nail during a 3 hour operation. His recovery is expected to take some time.

7: A 25 year-old man presented to the emergency room with a nail penetrating through his left foot and shoe. X-ray revealed the nail passing through the soft tissue of the left great toe. No boney involvement was noted. The nail was removed under general anasthesia in the operating room. He has made a full recovery.

8: A 41 year-old man pinned four of his toes together on his left foot during a nail gun accident. The man was framing holding the board down with his left foot, he attempted to fire a nail into the board using a "bump and fire" technique. He missed the board and fired the nail into his foot. Due to the force of the gun firing, it bounced off his boot then struck his foot again, firing a second nail into his foot. Both nails went through his boot. He was able to remove his boot and noted the heads of the two 4-inch long nails.

And now...the X-rays...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don - As one who had a near miss thru the finger, but missing the bone, I appreciate the reminder.

Waymon...

So....does #7 qualify as a hangnail??

Don,

Thanks for sharing these. A great reminder that all tools should be used only with a dose of healthy respect.

So I guess number 8 had never heard: "Never make the same mistake twice."

Mike

Thanks Doc. Gives me shudders... Yikes!

I went to the doc today. Updated my tetanus shot, no infection, x-ray showed healthy bones with no chips. Finger is still stiff, but becoming more usable (I'm even typing with it this evening!)

Per #8

Thanks Doc,

As Number 8 shows the bump trigger should be replaced with a single trip trigger. This can be done with little or no cost. Especially considering the cost of an errant second nail.

Work safe,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Thanks Doc,

As Number 8 shows the bump trigger should be replaced with a single trip trigger. This can be done with little or no cost. Especially considering the cost of an errant second nail.

Work safe,
    I believe the companies out there are required to provide a "sequential-trip" trigger at no additional cost. My framer came with one, but I had to install it (5 minutes with a pin punch and a hammer).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Ouch!

Picture #8 could definitely qualify in the catagory of "Adding Insult To Injury". Bad luck there. Thanks for the shivers, Doc!

Keith

Porter Cable offers the saftey triggers (red in color) for their nail guns free of charge. Just call and give them your model number. I replaced the triggers on my 2 framers with them. I'm sure the other companies do the same. But remember, even with the safety trigger (and a working nose/tip safety) accidents still happen.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Thanks Doc,

Work safe,
    Actually, the bump trigger should be replaced with a little common sense!!! Why on earth would anyone want to speed up the process when they are nailing so close to body parts?

Reading through this I can see that a number of these instances were genuine accidents, whether self inflicted or not, but some, like this one, are just sheer stupidity. It reminds me of the number of people I know who sawed into their leg with a circular saw because they:

A) had to stand on one foot while balancing the board on the other raised leg while making the cut

and

B) had to demonstrate their machismo by shoving the saw through the board as fast as possible.

Ditto for idiots who start their chainsaws by yanking the cord in one direction while yanking the saw in the other.

Why is anyone surprised when people who work like this end up in the hospital? Why do we cry out for more safety devices that often add to the cost and decrease the efficiency of a tool because of people who are going to defeat those safety devices anyway with a lack of forethought?

We all have an accident sooner or later. Some of us are more fortunate than others in that we escape with less of an injury. Some accidents are not preventable, but most are due to poor work habits, lack of planning, whatever. My worst injury in the shop to date required six stitches, and I was doing something stupid. I should have known better, and I did know better, but I chose to do the stupid thing because it was more convenient, and saved me a few minutes of time. HA! I lost all sorts of time going to the doctor, getting sewn up, and then recovering and healing up. And I was fortunate that all I have is a scar, which is right there on my hand to remind me, "You'd better not do something stupid again".

I once saw a sig line that said, "The difference between genius and stupidity is that there is no limit to stupidity". How true that is, and we all suffer from it from time to time, but in the end analysis, the best safety device we have is between our ears.

Sorry that this turned into a rant, but not sorry enough to delete it. Oh and Chuck, this isn't directed at you, I just found your comment convenient to tag on to.

Bill

The combination of intelligence in different people has less impact than the combination of stupidity, because non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid people.
    Livraghi
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine

Ditto for idiots who start their chainsaws by yanking the cord in one direction while yanking the saw in the other.
    How about the ones who starting their chain saw by holding on to the cord and DROPPING the saw?

Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Two words.

Heebie. Jeebies.

rick
    -who doesn't even work with the danged things-

Well Doc, a common thread was that there was no brain damage. I guess that presupposes something? Okay, I'm sorry, it's not funny. I was making some cubbies for my tools out of wafer board scrap. I was holding two pieces together and shot a finishing nail through the tip of my finger. I'm only surmising that a brain scan taken of my head immediately prior to the accident would have shown a blank space where my brain was supposed to be. I was also glad that it was only a brad.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Rick got it right...yowzer....

Doc, I see no deviaton of the nail from its intended path. Not even bone deters it! All these nails look perfectly straight.

Wow...powerful tools...powerful tools....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-12-2004 at 5:21 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.