Thread: Free Software to capture computer actions?

Free Software to capture computer actions?

I can't think of the proper name for it right this minute, but I'm looking for free software that you can turn on, then go through actions on the computer, like showing someone how to do something in Word, and then capture than to make a clip of it. You see it done all the time where people are doing training videos, showing you in real time what to click on.

I don't have a commercial need for it, so I'm not looking to buy a package, but from time to time, it'd be easier to go through the motions and capture it, email it to someone than try to explain it other ways.

Anyone know of any open source products out there that will do this?

Thanks-
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Might you be talking about Screen Cam software? Or maybe Screen Recorder?

I found this via google. I don't know anything about it but it might be what you are looking for.
    http://camstudio.org/

I have no experience with it. But it says it is open source software, which is usually pretty good.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 11-12-2007 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Adding more info
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Not sure, but something that will let you capture the actions, similiar to what's done here on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S3LR6Tu7PE
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Scott,
    I edited my 1st post and added a link to it.

try Camstudio.org
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks Larry! I downloaded it and have done a couple of quick things already. A little cryptic to use and understand, but that's normal for open source stuff. Seems like it'll do exactly what I wanted, thanks for sharing!

Camstudio is what a co-worker of mine uses...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...