Thread: Another 18" BS post

Another 18" BS post

I am looking to buy an ~18 inch BS. One question I have is blade change. What makes\models are the easiest to change the blades?

I think that any of the saws made by ACM (Agazzani, Laguna, MM, Felder, Bridgewood, etc...) are pretty straight-forward -- I have a Laguna and have no issues changing the blade -- literally only takes a couple of minutes.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Ferraro View Post
    I think that any of the saws made by ACM (Agazzani, Laguna, MM, Felder, Bridgewood, etc...) are pretty straight-forward -- I have a Laguna and have no issues changing the blade -- literally only takes a couple of minutes.
    A couple clarifications: MM band saws are made by Centauro. Bridgewood is no longer on the market.

I actually don't think that there is much difference in changing blades between one brand machine and another, although some mobility solutions tend to interfere with changing wide blades due to constriction of how wide the lower door can be opened. It's very important to remember to re-adjust the guides while installing and setting up for a new blade if the width is different than the previous blade, too. DAMHIKT!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's not hard to change them (or the belt) on the new Jet machines, which look eerily like the Steel City band saws.

Two hand screws to take the table off, detension with the tensioning handwheel and you can pull the blade out. Some of the machines with a quick-release on the tensioner would probably even skip that.

It seems like if it's hard to change the blade, someone was sleeping in the design phase. There just isn't enough to a band saw to really get in the way once the table is off.

I have the Steel City BS and don't find it necessary to take the table off. Just don a pair of gloves and it can be off and replaced in about 2-3 minutes with a little practice. Most BS's I've used (about 6 different brands) would fall in that category of time to....

As Jim B. stated.... don't forget to re-set the guides!

Sarge..

Just setting up my new Grizzly BS this past weekend and changed blade from stock 1/2 el-cheapo to 3/4" resaw. Blade change on the "clones" (as most are VERY similar in regards to blade changes) is very simple and expedient.
    I can add to the list of things to check after installing a blade and being harried to do a quick resaw test on a new machine... don't forget to adjust the tension for the recently applied blade after adjusting guides and checking tracking. Reminder to self.....resaw blades need to be strung just a wee tighter than the stock blade.

Greg