Thread: Cypress

Cypress

We are doing a waynescot using knotty cypress in the living/dining room area and I was thinking about using it for the kitchen cabinet doors, drawers, and frames. I like the look of it but was wondering if anyone here has used cypress for interior use before? I've only used it for some outside stuff.. Thanks for any response,, Matt

I've done some minor work with cypress recently. Made some shower stools and boxes and I find that it is VERY soft. I had 3 10" wide sticks from different batches and it was comparable. Even with a finish, you look at this stuff the wrong way and it dents.

Also, since it is a bit oily, it tends to soak up finish in the earlywood and resist is in the latewood.....FWIW.

It's light if thats what you are looking for, but while I planned on using it for other projects, I have second thoughts.....

As I understand it, there are a few variants of cypress, and this stuff came from South Florida, so maybe cypress from Louisiana/Texas/Panhandle area is different, who knows....

JC
    Last edited by Jared Cuneo; 11-13-2007 at 11:54 PM.

Go for it

My entire house is made of cypress.
    Looks and works like pine but more attractive and more durable.

I haven't used it personally for inside Matt, but I saw an entertainment center made from cypress that took up a whole wall over in the Charleston, S.C. area. The gentleman that built and home it was in mentioned that he had no problems at that point which was about a year and a half after installation.

I've seen it used numerous times for furniture down in the bayou in southern La. All those pieces IMO were not built with the focus of becoming family heir-looms even though I suspect they may be someday given the penchant of close family ties in that area. All were very simple, clean-lined, functional, everyday use pieces. I for one think that simplicity is a beauty in a class of it's own.

I say.. if ya got it.. if ya like it as you stated.. time's a wastin.. go build it. One thing for sure from my experience using it on outdoor furniture and fence post... if a hurricane blows your roof off and you get water damage within... cypress cabinets will probably master and ride out the storm a lot better than what would be considered traditional .

Regards...

Sarge..

Thanks for the response, I sure do like the look of the cypress, its from the local area ( panhandle of Fl. ). What do you think of using the amber Shellac for a finish? I have never used it before and dont really know how it would work. We thought the amber would darken it a tad bit. Thanks again,, Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt norton View Post
    Thanks for the response, I sure do like the look of the cypress, its from the local area ( panhandle of Fl. ). What do you think of using the amber Shellac for a finish? I have never used it before and dont really know how it would work. We thought the amber would darken it a tad bit. Thanks again,, Matt
    I personally love the look of the amber shellac, Matt. As a matter of fact I will be using it Monday or so for a finish on a bed I started 2 weeks ago. I will use a light coat of the Zinser amber and then come back with two coats of clear. Then a very light sanding to take any sheen off and a coat of wax.

But... but.. on kitchen cabinets I would give it some serious thought. When you say "kitchen" or "bath-room", you need to consider moisture as steam is prevalent in both cases. As much as I personally hate poly, I would at least consider it, varnish or shooting lacquer.

The cabs don't take a beating as say kitchen table-tops would (espeically with young kids), but it should be a consideration as the shellac doesn't produce as hard a finish nor keep out moisture as well.

I have never used shellac in a kitchen and perhaps it would be OK? Someone that has may give you a more qualified answer as I really can only say with honesty, "I just don't know for sure".

If you do use it, I would love a PM down the road as to how it works out 6 months or a year after the fact. Just would like to satisfy my own curiousity on the matter!

Good luck...

Sarge..