Thread: please help choose......

Question please help choose......

I need to choose a detail sander for furniture repair that will enable me to get into tight places. I was thinking about getting one of those sanders that looks like an iron. Can anyone give advice on what style to get?
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Aurelio,

I have the PC multi-profile detail sander. I thought this thing would be the "shiz-nit" of all sanding tools. AFter two uses, it has been in the case it came in for over 3 years now. Fairly usless in my opinion. Just give me a foam block and some good sandpaper. Scrapers work very well in tight places....just an idea.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

does it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Aurelio,

I have the PC multi-profile detail sander. I thought this thing would be the "shiz-nit" of all sanding tools. AFter two uses, it has been in the case it came in for over 3 years now. Fairly usless in my opinion. Just give me a foam block and some good sandpaper. Scrapers work very well in tight places....just an idea.
    does it not do the job properly? I haven't looked ito it. I agree with you on the foam block. I was just hoping to find a way to cut the elbow grease out a little. Maybe I'll just have to grin and bear it.

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

I concur with Dennis on the PC detail sander. I had one, used it twice. I gave it to a buddy, he used it once, and he gave it to ......

It just doesn't do the job, I'm not sure how to explain it - had to be held just so - it's faster to do it by hand and you get a better job.

I've heard good things about the Fein, but it will cost you a couple of dollars more.

Bob

I don't have one but...

Several times over the last year or so someone will post a fun question on a forum asking for folks to list their most hated tool, or most worthless tool purchase.

In most cases, the profile sander (no matter who makes it) comes up as the winner (loser?). Most users say that it is a good idea at first look, but they all end up sanding or scraping by hand.

Just an observation I have made.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

I agree on the worthless PC detail sander also. Though I am an advid PC fan, their sander leaves lots to be desired. When they first came out 7-8 years ago, I got one and was really disappointed in it. Gave it away to a friend, and think He decided it was worthless also. Pads kept falling off, paper was worthless also.
    Then about four years ago, Grainger had a closeout price on them for around $60.00. I was doing a real detailed staircase at the time, and though maybe they had improved on the sander, and at that price, I bought another one. I've used it once. There have been no changes, detail ends fall off, paper is junk, vibrates a lot. I think it is slowing rusting away in the case.
    I have no other experience with any of the other brands. Steve

I would think that the Fein or Festool would be a good one but they are $$$s to spend if it turns out you don't like them. Festool has such fantastic sanders that it might be worth a shot. I'd love to hear more about the Fein or Festool sanders...anyone? anyone?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thumbs up I have the Fein

I like the Fein because it can be used as a saw. That is actually the reason I bought it to cut fiberglass sheets. It works really well for that.

The triangle sander works well also.

I do not have the profile pads now available.

I plan to use the knive blade to cut out the old caulk around the kitchen counters. I have heard it works really well for this.

Major down side is the cost. The replacement blades are big bucks.

Major upside is safety when cutting. The blade vibrates rather than spins. If you slip and touch the blade you don't get cut and the dust floats softly to the floor rather than filling the room.

Just my 2c.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I had a Bosch. It is easily the most worthless tool I've ever bought. I finally threw it away.

Jamie

I have the PC...it works ok for some things but I can't remember exactly what it was good for...I don't know much about the Fein execpt it does make a decent saw for doing things like cutting the bottoms off of door jams when you're doing hardwood floors and stuff like that. I have used the prfiles from the PC to do some hand sanding, but I don't use the PC paper with them, I cut pieces of Mirka and use it instead, works pretty well.

I will be...

purchasing some sanding blocks this weekend. Additionally, I will make some of my own out of wood blocks. Thanks to all who contributed and saving me from making a bad investment.

Benito Juarez