Thread: Need Advice QUICK: Vacuum Pumps for Veneering

Need Advice QUICK: Vacuum Pumps for Veneering

I've seen a vacuum pump for sale on an auction I follow, and I think it's a good deal, but not sure if the pump would work for a veneer press.

It's a Savant VP100 Two Stage unit. Searchs on the internet have provided more details - 115-208/230 volts, single phase, Franklin 1/2 HP Motor, 1725/1425 RPM, 50/60 hz, direct drive, 55lbs. It shows up mostly on used lab equipment lists, so I'm not sure of it's orginal application, or even if it was designed for a specific application.

I've seen prices from $409 to $1645 for used models.

I've only got a few more hours left on the auction, and I was just outbid @ $55, so lemmmmeee know if you have any input on this puppy.

As additional information - I do have an automotive-style vacuum pump that I used to use to suck down A/C systems on cars. I think I paid about $200 for it 10 years or so ago. It's a commercial pump I bought from an A/C supply house - but it was their smallest unit.

Thanks, Todd

Todd, I paid $175 for the Gast pump I use for my vacuum chucking system from a surplus place in the Denver area...and it was brand spanking new. Same unit sells for $400 from most sources. This is a 1/3hp unit and is the same one that OneWay sells. It's also going to get used for veneer work one of these days after I elect a project and buy a bag for it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Todd,
    I have a automotive Robinair Vacuum pump that is rated a 2.2 cfm. The vacuum press I have is 3' x 5' and the pump will pull down to 29" The pump that you are bidding on might be over kill. The main thing is to make sure the bag is sealed and stays that way when veneering. With my system, I can pull a vacuum, shut the valve and it will hold it overnight.
    Steve

Todd,

For another comparison, the pump in the Compact 100 system that Vaccupress sells is 1 cfm and pulls appx 25 inches of vacuum.

Bob

Well, good news! I got it for $110.96 (incl. tax). WOO-HOO! It got pretty hectic there at the end, but I got it, I got it! I got it!

I'll pick it up Mondy. (Sure hope it works.......) It's recovered stolen property.

I see all kinds of applications - vacuum clamping, vacuum bagging, vacuum pressing... and by the size of this thing - perhaps all at once too!

www.auctionstealer.com

I've yet to lose a bid on eBay (assuming this was on eBay...somehow I think not) with this FREE s/w...assuming I set my max high enough.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the application...we are here for you!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Not ebay - esurplus.com. Item #50419. I've got my profile set up to only look at items of interest to me in Texas.