Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Tabletop Shuffleboard Game

PROJECT: Tabletop Shuffleboard Game

About a month ago, my 11 year old son and I were flipping through a couple of catalogs I had received that day. At one point, I got to a page that had a couple of "games" on it, and Nick flipped! He saw the following picture...

It's a tabletop shuffleboard game. He really like it, as did I. What I didn't like was the price, which was over $100. Later that night, I studied the picture some more, and told myself, "...you can do that!"

So, that's what I'm doing.

The overall dimensions for the game are 48"L x 18"W. I liked the way the darker wood looked as trim and accents, so I decided to use some of the walnut I had on hand. For the shuffleboard itself, I started with a 48"x18" piece of birch ply. I laid out dimensions for a groove down the middle of the board for the center bumper, and for the "gutter" at the end of the scoring area. At that point, I slapped a straight bit in the router, and went to work. Here is the result of that bit of work...

Now that the initial routering was done, I started looking at the trim details. I figured that I'd go with a 3/4" wide trim piece around the perimeter of the board, as well as the center bumper. A couple of much thinner pieces of walnut are going to be used at the far end of board, and the facing of the gutter. Here is the collective molding and trim, all ready for final sanding...

So at that point, I had all of the major components of this shuffleboard table ready to go. Here is a picture of the dry-fit. Ultimately, I'm going to use a piece of green felt in the gutter. I didn't like the way the straight bit left the rough gutter, feeling that you would see the humps and bumps after the felt was applied. So I'm going to use a piece of 1/4" hardboard as a substrate for the felt. Even though it raises the gutter 1/4", it should look pretty good...

Here are a few other pictures, showing some of the details of the board. Keep in mind...at this point, I've done no sanding, so you still see the saw marks where I nibbled away at the walnut trim...

Another...

...and finally...

I will definitely keep this up to date as I progress. I've got a bunch of finishing questions to ask, but will save them until I am ready. At this point, I am most likely going to make another of these boards for my nephew. He'll love it....

Thanks!!

Keith

Looks great I remember playing that game as a kid.

shuffle board

The table top shuffle board I remember playing was when i was in the service stationed at yurba bueno(sp) Island in the USCG life boat rescue station in the early 70's.As i remember (lol) it was a straight board with players at either end. But indeed it was a good time.

Have fun and make memories,

Roy

Blog Entries

very nice

I'm currently hoping to have a doll house complete for my daughter for Christmas (and Santa is not getting the credit). I was trying to come up with some ideas for a toy for my son, hope you don't mind if I use this for inspiration.

What a kewel project, Keith!! 'Might have to put something like that on "the list" for an activity for our new multi-purpose room in the addition...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    I'm currently hoping to have a doll house complete for my daughter for Christmas (and Santa is not getting the credit). I was trying to come up with some ideas for a toy for my son, hope you don't mind if I use this for inspiration.
    Please do, Scott!!! I can't wait until it's done...

Jim, it better be ready to play for my first trip to see the completed addition!!

- Keith

Very nice project. Thanks for sharing. What is the "bounce" end
    angle(s) to their adjoining sides-appear to be different than 45.
    What plans for the "puck"- This would be a very nice "xmas"
    project--Thanx
    LeeB--

Think outside the box,
    the light's much brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Leland Berry View Post
    Very nice project. Thanks for sharing. What is the "bounce" end
    angle(s) to their adjoining sides-appear to be different than 45.
    What plans for the "puck"- This would be a very nice "xmas"
    project--Thanx

Thanks, Leland. The pucks are actually what almost stopped me from tackling this project. I had no idea what I was going to use, or where I was going to get them. The problem was solved with the very first stop I made on the 'net. I found these at everybody's favorite online auction site...

They are 3/4" wide, and 1/2" high. They're perfect for this application, and at $5.99/set, a decent deal. I bought two sets, because what are the chances an 11 year old and his buddies aren't going to lose a puck or two?

As far as the angle the rubber bands are at...you have me worried a bit. The overall angle of that opening is 110 degrees, so the pucks are going to bounce off at a 55 degree angle. Do you think this is too much? I guess I didn't take that into consideration... Any opinions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks!

- Keith

Keith

Too cool and too funny

I have been working on the same thing since I got that catalog I even got the pucks from the same aution site. You have made more progress then I have, I have turned the angle question over to a couple of PHD physics/math folks that I work with I'll let you know what they say next week.

Looking forward to seeing your completed project we can swap pictures

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dionne View Post
    Keith

Too cool and too funny

I have been working on the same thing since I got that catalog I even got the pucks from the same aution site. You have made more progress then I have, I have turned the angle question over to a couple of PHD physics/math folks that I work with I'll let you know what they say next week.

Looking forward to seeing your completed project we can swap pictures

Dave
    Very cool, Dave! Thanks! Although, tell them that project progress won't wait through the weekend. I need their answers by this afternoon!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

I believe they still sell a smaller version of this game at the store I would suggest going to the storea nd checking it out Bring a protractor and check the angle no math involved that way.

Hey Keith-

I saw the same catalog and thought the exact same thing: "I could make that!" - very neat project, especially time with your son.

I'm with Leland... just from eyeballin' it looks like the angles are a bit different. You might want to shorten the dividing strip a bit to open up the scoring side a little bit.

Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted to the progress...
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

For the storage you could either incorporate a lid over the gutter area at the end of the scoring area that would hold the pucks or build a box into one of the triangular areas past the rubber bands. At the very least get a bag and put a hook on the piece some where.

Just a question and a suggestion. Why the gap in the rail at the angled end?

Now the suggestion: Put some storage for the pucks in it so it can be stood up vertical out of the way. Either a lid over the gutter or in the solid wood area at the bumper end. This will keep the whole game together when the novelty wears off. It would be terrible to pull it out of the closet in a year and not be able to find the pucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Jackson View Post
    Just a question and a suggestion. Why the gap in the rail at the angled end?

Now the suggestion: Put some storage for the pucks in it so it can be stood up vertical out of the way. Either a lid over the gutter or in the solid wood area at the bumper end. This will keep the whole game together when the novelty wears off. It would be terrible to pull it out of the closet in a year and not be able to find the pucks.
    Hi Dennis! I had actually thought about trying to incorporate some sort of storage, but wasn't sure how I could accomplish that? I'm not sure i understand your suggestion. Could you (or anyone else for that matter) elaborate a bit?

As far as the gap in the rails at the far end...if you look at the "inspiration" picture, you'll notice that the gaps are where the outside posts for the rubber bands are placed. The pucks are big enough that they won't hit the posts and not bounce "true" down the board? Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your suggestion!

Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "