Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which circular saw for dust collection

Which circular saw for dust collection

I am considering a Makita 5007MGA and a PC 325MAG. People talk about adding a dust port to the Makita. Any opinions on best saw to control dust with a vac attached?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Coverdale View Post
    ...Any opinions on best saw to control dust with a vac attached?
    Festool, without a doubt.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 11-18-2007 at 10:31 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Festool For Sure...

Yup... Festool... However... Makita is licensing festools smaller plunge cut saw it looks like...

Drew

I own the PC 324MAG (same as the 325MAG without the brake, I think) and couldn't be happier. It's an amazing saw that's put together very well. It's balanced well and feels solid. I've never had it bog down either. I got mine at Lowes for 60 bones on clearance! I am extremely pleased with it. Although I've never used the dust collection port (yet), and I've never owned a Festool, online reviews tend to put the 324MAG/325MAG in the same class in terms on dust collection, power and precision. Here's a quote from Amazon's customer reviews on the 324MAG:

"The reason I selected this saw is that I had decided to get a circular saw and router precision guide system for my home shop. I have so little room that table tools are a problem. Anyway, while looking at the precision guide systems, I noticed that every single vendor pictured their guide system being used with this saw. I asked a couple of them about that and was told that the precision, power, ability to plunge cut and dust collection rivals the Festool at less than half the price."

Also, I worked for a log home builder when I was younger (about 10 years ago), and Porter Cable saws were his saw of choice. When asked why he told me that over the years he'd tried them all and the PCs just held up better. Although he did say that Makita was second.. If I remember correctly, we had 2 or 3 PCs and a Makita on site in the equipment trailer.

-Matt-
    Last edited by Matt Vallad; 11-18-2007 at 7:27 AM. Reason: adding quotes to the Amazon review

The dust collection on the 324/325 mags is adequate if connected to a good vac system.

The PC does not, however, rival the Festool in this regard, and dust collection was the OP's question.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Tough crowd...

Bob - The Festool may indeed be superior in terms of dust control. As stated, I haven't used the dust port on my 324MAG. And Festool tools are too spendy for my blood. I was just giving my experiences with a model similar to what Andy mentioned.

Andy - Is dust control your only prerequisite? If so, I doubt you'll be disappointed with a Festool saw. They generally get great reviews and have a dedicated fan base.

Personally, I'm more of a price/performance type of guy. Hence, I'll probably never own anything Festool (or Mercedes). But to each their own...

Regards,

-Matt-

Dust Control is Festool's "bread and butter" so to speak, and they are amazing in that regard.

Matt thanks for the post on the PC325. It's always nice to have options, and Andy did specifically reference the PC325 in his post with respect to dust collection.

The Festool is definitely the best. The Hilti is good as well I am sure. I just want a good saw for the ez smart. I dont want to spend gobs of money on a saw for cutting panels. I just need a good system so I don't have to keep balancing my plywood on the TS. I mostly us solid lumber in my projects and panels only occasionally.
    I think I would be happy with the PC MAG.
    The ultimate (very expensive) would be a Festool with the EZ smart and a smart square.

Ryobi plunge saw - looks to be europe only

I googled the Ryobi plunge saw, looks nearly identical to the Festool. List for similarly high money, being sold for a bit less, BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) looks to be only in Europe for now. I can find no American google listing for that saw. Maybe next year? Ray Knight

The Festool is definitely the best. The Hilti is good as well I am sure. I just want a good saw for the ez smart. .
    In that case, the PC325 would be a good choice. It was the "saw of choice" for EZ for a long time. If you face the dust port forward and hook up a good vac you'll get most of the dust.

I ain't that tough.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

. I mostly us solid lumber in my projects and panels only occasionally.
    I think I would be happy with the PC MAG.
    I think that you would also. That is what I have and it does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Knight View Post
    I googled the Ryobi plunge saw, looks nearly identical to the Festool. List for similarly high money, being sold for a bit less, BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) looks to be only in Europe for now. I can find no American google listing for that saw. Maybe next year? Ray Knight
    Ray - Did you mean to say Makita instead of Ryobi??? I understand the Makita plunge saw will be available in Canada soon.
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress View Post
    The dust collection on the 324/325 mags is adequate if connected to a good vac system.
    The PC does not, however, rival the Festool in this regard, and dust collection was the OP's question.
    Maybe this is a question of semantics, but while I get great dust collection with my Festool sanders, I'm not all that happy with how much is left behind by my TS55, especially with thicker stock. The saw seems to throw out as much forward as it does backward, and while the stuff going to the rear is picked up, most of what shoots forward escapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pavlov View Post
    Maybe this is a question of semantics, but while I get great dust collection with my Festool sanders, I'm not all that happy with how much is left behind by my TS55, especially with thicker stock. The saw seems to throw out as much forward as it does backward, and while the stuff going to the rear is picked up, most of what shoots forward escapes.
    Greg - The Festool saw does throw some dust out the front of the saw. However, if you really believe that the "saw seems to throw out as much forward as it does backward" try running the saw without the vacuum hooked up and stand behind it.
    Cave Creek, AZ

I have one of the previous generation Porter Cable saws and am dis-satisfied with the dust collection, even hooked to a good vacuum. It does a good job getting chips after adding a small plastic shield Dino sent me, but the fine dust is very evident on the floor and in my nose after a few cuts. I've pretty much relegated the circular saw to outdoor use, which means it is only available to me 1/2 the year.