Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: HDTV.......big screen advice.....HELP!

OK Pat. I had suspected that what you said was the case. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. It was the -1 that led me astray.

I am a Dish network user, it would appear that they have to convert to the new channel scheme for their local channel option. In addition, it gives me a pain the posterior about having to pay extra for the HD channels.
    Best Regards, Ken

Actually, the satellite providers have to expand their bandwidth in order to provide local channels in Hi-Def. Unlike the other channels, they have to provide separate channels for every broadcast area. They roll out the big markets first: New York, LA, Chicago, Miami... Then they move to the smaller markets. For example, I'm pretty sure they offer local Denver channels in Hi-Def, but not Colorado Springs.

This has nothing to do with the local, over the air broadcasts. The satellite providers take an uplink from the local stations, then downlink it to customers in that broadcast market. Thus, when I'm watching local, over the air broadcasts in Hi-Def, my satellite box is turned off. I'm just using my antenna.

I also don't like paying extra for Hi-Def channels. But at least there's more than a few now.

Yes Pat, the Dish HD receivers have a jack on the back for a roof top local antenna for the digital stations. The nice thing about digital is that there are no ghost images or snow, either you got the signal or you don't.

IIRC, the FCC specified that the digital signals had to 'fit' in the same 6 MHz window/channel width that analog TV uses, hence all the signal compression. I am curious as to why the satellite provider would need to do more than install digital receivers at each up-link site. Of course the fan out of the new equipment will take some time to complete.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken, the -1 is actually a sub channel. For instance, our local TV station broadcasts analog over channel 18, HD content over 18-1 (actually channel 11, but that's another story), and a full-time Doppler radar picture over 18-2 (non-HD, no audio). At least one of the Indy stations even has content on -3.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    People,
    I am about to buy a HD tv, something in the 42 inch range.

But what I have never seen is an explanation of what you NEED for HD viewing.

I know you need a tv, and I will have to upgrade the cable to get the HD channels.

But, do I need a receiver and 5.1 speakers? Do I need a new DVD player? What about my VHS?

Any recommendations for a website that might explain it all?

Help!
    Mike
    Mike, about all you need is a TV and an antenna. If you're lucky enough to be within range of local stations that broadcast over the "air" then you could get HD programming from those stations for free. NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS, here in Madison, WI, all broadcast over the air in HD.

Most people though, have cable or satellite. In each case you will need a digital box and pay extra for HD programming.

You only need a new sound system if you want to hear movies like you would in a theater. You do not need a new DVD or VHS player. They will work fine on a High Def set as they are.

I wouldn't buy a new DVD player until the war is over between the warring factions. Remember Beta and VHS? Well now it's Blu-Ray [Sony] vs. HD-DVD [the rest] over who's system will reign supreme.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Ken, the -1 is actually a sub channel. For instance, our local TV station broadcasts analog over channel 18, HD content over 18-1 (actually channel 11, but that's another story), and a full-time Doppler radar picture over 18-2 (non-HD, no audio). At least one of the Indy stations even has content on -3.
    Humm, interesting Jason. I guess I am getting hung up on terminology. To me a sub something is a part of the whole. You did hit upon the answer, a 'sub' channel is really just another channel somewhere else in the TV spectrum.

I think we have collectively beat this subject into submission.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Humm, interesting Jason. I guess I am getting hung up on terminology. To me a sub something is a part of the whole. You did hit upon the answer, a 'sub' channel is really just another channel somewhere else in the TV spectrum.

I think we have collectively beat this subject into submission.
    Amen.........LOL

Sony Series V W

Pretty much set on a Sony LCD 40 or 46 inch. 1080P

Any thoughts on the difference between the V Series and the W Series?

as in KDL46V3000 KDL46W3000

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    Pretty much set on a Sony LCD 40 or 46 inch. 1080P

Any thoughts on the difference between the V Series and the W Series?

as in KDL46V3000 KDL46W3000
    Pete...The only difference that I see is the W Series has 3 instead of 2 HDMI inputs and has 16,000:1 contrast ratio instead of 13,000. For that difference you pay around $200 extra. I don't know if there is any more difference or not. That's the Specs. I have in front of me.
    My Sony 46" has only 7,000:1 but looks great to me.
    Gary

Might I add more confusion?

If cost isn't an issue (and it always is!), check out Pioneer's Elite line. They are absolutely wonderful. Even my wife noticed a huge difference between it and the offerings from Sony, Samsung, etc. Of course the 42" is about $3300. The 50" is over $4k.

Runco also makes nice monitors, but they're more expensive and don't come with tuners (but they also look fantastic).

If the other brands are Craftsman and Rigid, these guys are Powermatic and MiniMax.

IMHO
    YMMV

Brett

Sony V series

Went with the KDL46V3000.

Not quite sure how anyone could expect or get a better picture.

OK I know hook up a Sony Blue ray DVD and get a Blue Ray DVD then you would be viewing true 1080 (or another brand HD DVD). I am not ready for that yet.

When our cable guy was adding the HD box he was saying how all the companies are pushing to get to the next level. He thinks we will see huge changes in the next year. A lot more HD and maybe even some 1080.

Seems like the next big step is to send each customer only a few channels that he wants instead of just sending all the data down the pipe.

Once they do that it would free up lotza bandwidth to send the higher res data.

Karl,
    Thank you.
    I think I am very lucky in that my cable provider will give me a HD DVR and HD channels for 11.98 month.
    I have found some HD tvs that still have speakers in them, so thats solved.
    New technology is not yet to the point of simplicity.
    Thanks again for the response,
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Karl,
    Thank you.
    I think I am very lucky in that my cable provider will give me a HD DVR and HD channels for 11.98 month.
    I have found some HD tvs that still have speakers in them, so thats solved.
    New technology is not yet to the point of simplicity.
    Thanks again for the response,
    Mike
    The speakers in most HDTV's are pretty poor...and at the very LEAST you should opt for a HTIB in order to really enjoy the total experience. JMO