Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HDTV.......big screen advice.....HELP!

HDTV.......big screen advice.....HELP!

I first joined this community nearly 4 years ago as I embarked on the journey of building a new shop. Well, it's nearly complete and I am at the point of starting to build cabinets and out fit it with equipment. I currently have a MM-16 and PM3520B that I hope to start taking out of the crates later today or early tomorrow. The empty shell of the shop cost me $16,000.......I installed 200 amp electrical service, R-19 in the walls, R-40 in the ceilings....plywood walls...sheetrock ceiling.....11 8' T-8 4 bulb fixtures ......I hate to think how much total money I've got in the shop.....in the building alone.....probably $23,000....Now I'm adding tools and I've yet to order my DC but it'll be ordered hopefully before weeks end.....

The LOML has wanted HDTV big screen for several years. Due to the cost and the ever changing HDTV technology, she's always not bought one because she's a "penny pincher".....Sears has a 46" Sony LCD HDTV on sale today for $1100 after taxes...out the door......the model is KDL 46S3000.

Could some of you television gurus give me your opinion on this set and let me know any "hangups".....can we view regular programs on HDTV etc...........

HELP! The sale is only on through noon today......

I don't have the time to spend weeks researching this myself!

Thanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't know that set in particular, but Sony has been suggested to us to buy. And yes, you can view regular programs with HD. Make sure you check on the warranty very good. I know Sears usually suggests you get an extended. Make sure what all is covered. An off brand HD we had from Wally world died on us after 3 months and we had a war getting our money back....

HI Ken,

I have a samsung 56" DLP HDTV and would definitely buy one again. My biggest advice would be to start researching now and get an idea of what you want and then pull the trigger on Black friday if you find a deal. Things to know:

1. yes you can watch standard def programs on a HDTV, quality will be a little worse than what you are seeing now due to the much larger screen size. But its not bad. The upside is you will find yourself watching more an more HD, and less and less standard def.
    2. You will need to upgrade your cable situation to HD...costs a little extra depending on what you have now.
    3. You will want to then upgrade your stereo :-0

Good Luck!!

Ken, it is a very good LCD TV. Consumer Report magazine recently gave it high marks in its category. I have two of the Sony XBR series LCD’s, a 32” and a 46” and love them. Yes, non HDTV will run on it but why would you want to? HDTV is far superior!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We have been going through the same thing and I did alot of research. We finally bought a 46" Sony from Costco's. The HDTV we got has the 1080 lines of resolution. That is the future in TV. I'm not sure about the model your looking at but at that price I'm thinking it only has the 720 or so resolution.
    I went to my brother's house to see his new 50" (he doesn't have the newer 1080) and it didn't look good to me. ( I didn't tell him that, though).
    My brother is kind of cheap and he doesn't really reserch anything so he is probably happy.(what you don't know won't hurt you) .

I suggest you go to a store that has both TV's.( both resolutions) LOML and I can really see a big difference in the quality of the picture. Costco's had a real good price and over a month later the price went down $200 and they gave us the credit on our CC.
    Happy Shopping,
    Gary

Go Pats

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    We have been going through the same thing and I did alot of research. We finally bought a 46" Sony from Costco's. The HDTV we got has the 1080 lines of resolution. That is the future in TV. I'm not sure about the model your looking at but at that price I'm thinking it only has the 720 or so resolution.
    I went to my brother's house to see his new 50" (he doesn't have the newer 1080) and it didn't look good to me. ( I didn't tell him that, though).
    My brother is kind of cheap and he doesn't really reserch anything so he is probably happy.(what you don't know won't hurt you) .

I suggest you go to a store that has both TV's.( both resolutions) LOML and I can really see a big difference in the quality of the picture. Costco's had a real good price and over a month later the price went down $200 and they gave us the credit on our CC.
    Happy Shopping,
    Gary

Go Pats
    It would be hard to find a 720 set today(unless you are buying NOS), in fact it may not even be easy to find a 1080i...I'm guessing this unit would be a 1080p...and if you really want to make sure you are on the cutting edge look for 1080p24

I do see where sears has a sharp 46" lcd on sale for 999 on black friday. sure its a sony?

Folks....it was a 720 lines. We went to a local shop first where I trust the family that owns it and they sell Sony. After listening to Bill's spew, my wife decided she didn't want the one Sears is selling and I offered to stop at Sears as we passed the store homeward bound. She refused to spend $2000 on a tv. I'm juggling with my DC. Santa may have a surprise for her.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I happen to really like Sharp Aquos...have had a 30" for a few years and will be putting a new 52" 1080p Aquos in the addition when the time comes. The Sony LCDs do generally get nice reviews, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Folks....it was a 720 lines. We went to a local shop first where I trust the family that owns it and they sell Sony. After listening to Bill's spew, my wife decided she didn't want the one Sears is selling and I offered to stop at Sears as we passed the store homeward bound. She refused to spend $2000 on a tv. I'm juggling with my DC. Santa may have a surprise for her.
    I would not purchase a 720p HDTV...but good luck with your xmas surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    I would not purchase a 720p HDTV...but good luck with your xmas surprise
    I know what you mean. Sometimes it don't look bad in the store, so my brother (who never listens to big brother) brought it home and Yucky!!!!

Gary

I purchased a Sony XBR2 46" a year ago. I paid $3200.00 discounted. The same set, which has been replaced by Sony with XBR4 is available for $2000.00 or less (see Best Buy). I would put my Sony up against anything that is on the market with the exception of the New XBR4 & XBR5. Become a member of the 1080 club and you will be very satisfied. One note, I see reviews from people who say this and that, pro and con about this TV and that TV but these people never even receive real HD service. In order to really appreciate a HD TV you must have HD Service. Why bother to spend the money on a HD TV and not paid another $10.00 a month (DirecTV Anyway) and get the HD Service? Also another fact to consider, get at least 40" because anything less will give you a very small picture on a Non Letter Box movies, news, etc. Yea you could STRECH the image but to me that looks very cartoonish, people's heads out of portion and such. One more thing, do not get a Plasma TV unless you want your electric bill to go up. Plasma TVs are like having a 400 to 700 watt light bulb on and they give off a lot of heat. Of course all of this is just my humble opinion.
    Peter

ULS VersaLaser 3.50 50 w, Glowforge Basic 40 w, Carbide3D Nomad 883 Pro, Form-2, Raise3D N1, Raise3D N2 Plus, Fusion 360, Corel Draw Suite X9, Corel Draw Suite 2019, 1-Touch Photo, PhotoGrav, Photoshop

Pete, on the stretch issue, it's another thing to evaluate when choosing a 16:9 format screen. Not everyone does it well or right. My Aquos has an intelligent stretch mode that doesn't distort 4:3 material. It was one of the deciding factors when I bought as I knew there would still be a lot of material, both through the cable and via DVD that was not going to be native 16:9.

And I do agree strongly with you...at least the minimal HD subscription from a provider is absolutely worth it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't know if what shipping adds but I have found these guys have great prices.
    Going to the store in NYC is like a kid going to FAO Swartz.
    http://www.jr.com/
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Couple of questions from a guy who knows absolutley about this stuff. On the difference between a 720 -1080 I understand that bigger is better (kinda like MORE POWER) however it is my understanding that the satalite broadcasts (DirecTV at least) is delivering a 720 signal with no plans to upgrade for several years, I know that games and DVDs are at 1080 but I'm not a gamer nor do we watch many DVDs.

I'm a firm believer in buying the best that you can afford but is it truly worth the 500.00 - 600.00 extra for the 1080? As far as LCD vs Plasma, it is my understanding that the Plasma is superior when viewing from an angle is this the case? Where it will be placed would have indirect lighting so glare would no be a problem and as far as energy consumption, we only watch TV a few hours a week and any saving with LCD would be negligable.
    David

David...Not sure how HD TV will fare with Satellite. Before we moved here 3 years ago we lived deep in the woods and it was cost prohibitive for us to acquire cable, but we enjoyed satelite.
    Now that we have cable (Comcast) it was a no-brainer. They continue to add more stations to their HD menu. We have no less then 21 channels from which to chose. Together with our DVR ( digital video recorder) we are very pleased with our 46" Sony HDTV 1080. We like to watch National Geographic and Discovery and the photography is just unbelievable. I can't believe that I hung onto my 12 year old Sony tube for so long.
    Gary