Thread: Increase Font Size on SMC

1. Increase Font Size on SMC

Just an "old guy's trick" for increasing font size on forums (I actually employed it with the short lived move to the new format a day or so ago):

If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, hold down the CTRL key and move the scroll wheel back towards you ... the text size will increase (works in both Firefox and IE 7; not sure about the others). You can also increase text size using the "View" -> "Text Size" menus, but the scroll wheel works easier for me.

In Firefox you can also use ctrl+ and ctrl- to make the font larger or smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Cope View Post
    In Firefox you can also use ctrl+ and ctrl- to make the font larger or smaller.

And CTRL plus ZERO (ctrl0) will reset it to the default size.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    Wow Frank, I just tried that and it did work. Learn something new everyday. As the years pass by, I think I'll be needing that little trick more and more.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I am using IE 6 and 7 both. I have all scripts enabled for this site. When I click view>text size>largest, there is NO CHANGE for me--- the forum test stays the same small size no matter what I select.

In fact, I found this thread searching for similar before I complained that the hard coded font size didn't comply well with disability etc... The only bad thing about SMC I've found in many months, is that it is very painful to read, because I can't increase the font size. Now it appears other folks CAN change it so.... does anyone have any ideas on what I might try to be able to increase it? Thanks
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

The Increase Text Size in IE only works with about half the pages out there. This is because those pages have the text size specified in pixels. Firefox takes the specified size to be the "normal" size and then adjusts the pixel size accordingly.

But you can change the zoom of the page. Of course this increases everything and you really end up having to scroll left to right. But it makes things larger while still maintain the size format that your monitor is set to.

The zoom is in the lower right hand corner. You can also change zoom with "CTRL +" to increase or "CRTL -" to decrease. "CTRL 0" returns to 100%.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 01-12-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo

Uhm... ctrl + and - don't do anything for me in IE6. Maybe there is some setting I don't know about or can't find in IE that I've turned off?
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Dave, I typed that from home and didn't even think of IE version. I'm at work now and read your reply and realized that the zoom option is not in IE 6 (the version I have at work). Sorry for the confusion.

Be well,

Doc

For those using IE (any version) I recommend downloading/installing Firefox - I did that a few years ago and have NEVER wanted to use IE since. Besides the font thing, any version of IE I've used asks you if you want it to remember passwords for different sites, then promptly forgets. Firefox doesn't.

It's a simple download/install/reboot, and you can still decide which is to be your default browser and you can still choose to open the non-default instead (but they don't seem to peacefully co-exist if you try to have windows of each browser open simultaneously, at least on any of my several machines)

It's also very easy to export your IE favorites into Firefox so you don't lose any bookmarks... Steve

I am using Firefox and it worked great. Once I sized the font, it stays that way through all of the SMC pages, but it also stays that way as I surf the internet to other pages. Hotmail was large font after I sized it on SMC and then switched pages. As a reading glass using person, thanks!

I just installed Firefox. Seems to work great. Font size is changeable, nice look.... Fixed all my problems, so far.