Thread: 513x2 bandsaw blades

513x2 bandsaw blades

So, this is another bandsaw blade question.

Anyways, my 513x2 arrived today, and was looking at blades.

Can someone recommend particular specifications (tpi) that are preferable for resawing? My main work will be to cut for veneers for bookending and also to rip boards for bow-front cabinetry.

What i have come across from a quick perusing, is the
    3/4 x 2/3 VPC.

Here is the link to what i am looking at:
    http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/sili...l_slection.asp

Also, dont TW blades typically come in at a longer length than ordered? (or was this another brand that has been discussed?).

Thanks in advance
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Call Suffolk and talk to a Rep. They will ask you a bunch of questions, and make blade recomendations based on your answers. Good people to work with

thanks for the info.

Hi again Alex,
    The woodslicer I use from Highland is a 3-4 TPI vari pitch blade.
    I haven't cut veneer per say with it, but I've done quite well cutting @ 1/16 or so slices just started toying with the idea of very thin shop cut veneer.... it is one of those things on the to do list. I am considering a project for the upcoming cold weather that will involve trying to make veneer for some armoire doors using mahogany crotch...
    Have you gotten your saw set up yet???
    Greg

It isn't hooked up yet. My father (the experienced electrician, or at least more experienced than I) is coming in for thanksgiving and helping me set up my 220v subpanel in the garage. It is something i have had the materials to do for a while, but not been that excited about hooking it up to the main panel, plus other things keep coming up (I am sure you can understand the feeling). I wanted to run it on its own circuit as well as on 220v so i can pull a lower current through the motor.

It arrived yesterday, and i got it unpacked last night and have mainly been doing some reading in the manual and checking things out/getting oriented with it. The mobile base is due to be delivered today. I ordered a woodslicer 1/2" and 3/4" resaw blade (the 3/4" is the same you listed as using, i just got the 1/2" so i can try it out and have a backup), as well as the woodturners blade. Ii have some fresh oak from some trees at my parents i want to cut up and dry and use at a later date for a gift for him (make a sign for his shop).

The semi driver had 3 more items from Grizzly on his truck to deliver to other people, and said he had already done 3 other items from them the previous week (obviously Grizzly has many fans in Houston). Some lucky person had a huge sliding table saw on its way to them. (looking at the other machinery can be contagious).

Hopefully by the weekend I will be up and running.

I had to rebuild all of the shelving and such in my garage to make more room for the saw so i could convince my wife i could get it.

I think short of a planer, about the only major piece of machinery I need now is a more powerful dust collection system. The ol' shop vac pulls its weight, and does better than nothing, but i really need to get a dedicated fan/system.

How is yours working out for you Greg? My garage entrance ended up being 3" shorter than the crate for the bandsaw, but the driver was kind enough to help me tilt it over and get it in my garage, heh.

I had to tilt my saw while on the mobile base to get it in position (going under HVAC ducting bump down in the garage.... (I held it at about a 35* angle and had LOML push & keep pushing).
    Last Friday night I resawed a 6" x 30" cherry board that was @ 4/4 to start into 12 pieces. I am going to make a double feather board (one table level and one elevated on a riser about 6" off the table... idea poached from some magazine full of jigs & shop tricks). If you are wanting to cut your own veneer and cut alot of it, definately consider a power feeder.
    You will need a real DC for resawing for sure. I have reconfigured my DC system when I moved the BS in & built a niose abatement closet for the DC.... the DC on the saw works quite well. Shop vac won't cut the mustard here.
    If you are going to end up with a planer, I'd 100% go with the DC first you won't regret it.

Greg

I am picking my battles carefully. Convincing her to allow me to get a 250$ DC won't be a big issue after the $1000 band saw. But if i tried to get the DC and THEN the bandsaw, it would be much more difficult.

If only the lowe's/HD would have the delta 50-760 on clearance like some have found, i would be golden.