Thread: Tool Post For Palmgren/craftsman Lathe

Tool Post For Palmgren/craftsman Lathe

I have the palmgren 15" lathe (same as the craftsman 15"). The tool post is 22mm (just shy of 7/8") dia.
    I think this is the only lathe made that takes this size post. I want to add a bowl and other (higher quality) rests. I bought a post and "S" rest at Woodcraft but the post is too short (3.5") and the rest bottoms out on a 6" bowl. Packard seels a system that's $$$$...$120 for only one complete bowl rest with post. At Monster tools it would be closer to $150. Haven't found anyone else who offers the 22mm/7/8" size. Unfortunately, I am not good buddies with a welder or machinest and the ones I've priced want at least $50 plus materials (getting close to turning supply prices). I've thought about having the banjo enlarged to 1" at a machine shop but that would be $50 plus all new rests for a lathe I only paid $300 for. The same shop wanted $50 to make a simple 22mm" threaded post, 5.5in long in steel.
    Any suggestions??? .......Very frustrated with the odd size I'm stuck with!!!
    Gregg Feldstone

what's the price of a 1" Drill Bit? I'll go in halves with you...if I can borrow it when you're done.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Wow! Must be telepathy going on. I'd just been wondering what size my post was because I'd like to get a bowl rest also. It does figure that the things (palmgrens) are off sized enough not to just find one online.

'Course though, mine is not a Palmgren, it is an actual Craftsman and quite a bit different configuration than the Palmgrens....although the banjo accepts slightly less than a 7/8" post as well. (I think it is .800")
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Palmgren/Craftsman lathe

Hello,

Palmgren sells an outboard turning kit that includes everything you need for turning bowls, including an s-shaped tool rest. I think Sears sells it also, but it would be catalog only.

Happy Turning,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    'Course though, mine is not a Palmgren, it is an actual Craftsman and quite a bit different configuration than the Palmgrens....although the banjo accepts slightly less than a 7/8" post as well. (I think it is .800")
    I had a Palmgren but thank the good Lord I don't anymore. They sent me Craftsman parts to fix mine several times. I even still have a brand new Craftsman headstock sitting in the shop. Also a new Palmgren headstock. They were extras that I didn't have to ship back. I also didn't have to send back the Jet mini VS they sent me because of all my problems with that lathe.

Another thing Amazon was very upset cause I went through Palmgren to get it fixed everytime. Also to send it back. Seems they have a contract with Palmgren that they Amazon takes care of all repairs and stuff.
    Last edited by Bobby Perry; 11-20-2007 at 2:55 PM.

I do know about the outboard rest kit available from Sears for $40, which includes an "S" bowl rest which Palmgren told me can also be used in the Banjo, no problem. The rest itself looks very rough to me and has an extra flange of metal on the inside of the small curve with a hole in it to hang it up with. It seems like this extra material would get in the way, and this is the only rest I've seen that looks so crude. Have a look on Sears.com or in your catalogue. I don't mind the $40, but I think it may not be worth even that. Anyone have this rest system???? I'll try to post a link with pic later.
    How about any of you guys who gave up on their Palmgren and maybe have a spare 22mm (7/8") tool post you can't use for anything? I'd be interested in buying it from you.
    Gregg Feldstone

Bobby is right! If you bought it from Amazon and have problems, just go directly back to Amazon. After months of diddling with WMH (Jet, PM), Amazon solved my problem in just a couple weeks.

Others, consider buying a long 7/8 bolt, put in chuck and file it down, grind it down by hand, or whatever, and make friends with a guy with a welder. I made an open segment jig for my single tube Craftsman (now gone elsewhere) based on a 5/8" bolt. Just a thought. You know what they say. Got a lemon? Squeeze all the juice out of it before you throw it away.

I forgot to tell you in the PM but I didn't keep any of the tool rests that came with the lathe cause I didn't really like them. I packed them all up and sent them back with the lathe.