Thread: Freud FT2200 router help

Freud FT2200 router help

My Freud router comes with both 1/2" and 1/4" collets, which snap into a collet nut. I cannot seem to get the 1/2" collet out of the nut. I understand it is somehow supposed to snap out, but cannot figure out how to do this. I've searched old threads and the WWW without joy. The manual is little help - I'm hoping SMC'ers can provide some assistance. Thanks.

Pete, I don't want to sound insulting but you did remove the nut and push it out the back (side normally facing the router) correct?

Justin, no insult taken. I had tried that without success, but after reading your post, applied my Herculean finger strength and finally got the collet out. The 1/2" collet is really tight, essentially requiring all my miniscule power to remove it with shaking, white fingers. Thanks again, problem solved, things should loosen up a bit with further use.

It should come out if you lean/tilt it to the side and wiggle and push at the same time. it has to be tilted to the side before it'll come out. I just change mine 1/2 hour ago and that seems to be the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Lesak View Post
    It should come out if you lean/tilt it to the side and wiggle and push at the same time. it has to be tilted to the side before it'll come out. I just change mine 1/2 hour ago and that seems to be the trick.

Agreed. Usually a little rocking motion as you pull is all that is required. After being used a little it gets easier.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Blog Entries
    The best solution is to call the Freud parts center and get a separate nut for one of the collets. I have two collets for mine and two nuts. Switching from 1/2" to 1/4" is quick and easy.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

7. What do they charge for a spare nut?

Quote Originally Posted by James Gillespie, Jr. View Post
    What do they charge for a spare nut?
    I don't recall the price off the top of my head but you can call (800) 334-4107 (option 3) and the parts guys will give you the cost.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Gillespie, Jr. View Post
    What do they charge for a spare nut?
    I don't recall, but it wasn't much. Don't know why Freud doesn't sell it as a set any way.

Maybe Charles M from Freud can answer!!!!

Lee
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    I don't recall the price off the top of my head but you can call (800) 334-4107 (option 3) and the parts guys will give you the cost.
    The helpful rep at Freud USA tells me that it is $20.64 shipped. For Canadians, Freud Canada is at 1-905-670-1025, but after speaking with them, they do not sell direct but ask you to go through a local dealer (who can order in the part if it is not in stock).

As an aside, I have previously dealt with Max, one of the reps at Freud Canada. He was excellent and helped resolve a problem that was my own doing. Their customer service was top-notch, and they have gained my loyalty.

Just call Bob Marino and he can short you out. I too have multiple collet nuts - wow that sounded funny the first time i read it