Thread: Granite

Granite

I found some Absolute Black Granite at Home Depot today. Using Rodneys photoshop settings I did this pic of my dog. I rubbed in some white acrylic and it made all the difference in the world.
    Not too bad, but the diffusion pattern is still lacking a bit. For you Photograv users, can I expect a substantial improvement using it? The image is about 4 x 4.6 inches.

Thanks,

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Profile 25 watt w/rotary, Homemade CNC, Vinyl Cutter, VCarve 4, Corel X3, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

You may have brightend it up a little to much, and lost some of the detail.. Every picture is different. when adjusting, it should be just 'a bit' brighter than you would normally print it to paper. But experimenting is all part of the game.. I get good results with home depot granite.. this one was done from a old faded sepia photograph, even most of the face detail was almost gone, but he 'did' have a moustache, so I enhanced that area to provide some face boundaries. There was not much detail but it still turned out not too bad...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Dave, I'm afraid I agree, you have overdone the brightness and contrast levels. I have done quite a bit of stuff on granite but I never liked adding the white paint, it makes it too stark, but I suppose it will vary from granite to granite.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I haven't tried the Home Depot Granite but here is a picture of my daughter, on Black Marble using Photograv 3.0 (the new one) and Corel version 12. I did not use Armor all or any paint. I am concerned about the light diag. stripes - not sure if it's the engraver (banding) or the stone (Laser bits).

Now... does anyone know a good method of resurfacing (recycling) a couple pieces of black marble?

There are quite a few posts about granite/marble on the forum. I've tried the HD granite and not thrilled with all the speckles. I purchased the laser marble from laserbits and there is a very big difference in detail.

I had to use Photograv (old version) as I couldn't get a good result with my technical abilities without it. It was very easy with photograv. I resized the image to about 3" x 3" so I could use one tile with all the different settings so I could fine tune to get the best looking one (I know, I'm cheap). I was able to get the best results on my last row and did a 12x12 of the same picture with good results. I think there are still some tweaks I could do, but people were impressed when they saw it.

I think the 12x12 laser marble is $15 plus shipping, so it is more expensive than HD but for higher detail it is worth the extra $$. It will depend on what you are doing with it too. I am no expert but depending on where the peice will go will depend on whether marble or granite will be a better choice.

Keep in mind folks, you can't compare marble to granite and vice versa, they are two totally different materials..

Marble does not need paint to brighten it, Granite may.. Depending on the photo.. The flecks in granite are usually quartz, and smaller is better.. You will 'always' get a more photographic representaion on Marble, it's the nature of the beast.. Marble being quite soft, is best for inside display. Granite is very hard, and will withstand the elements far better than marble. If you are doing something for outside use, granite is your best choice.. You want a nice picture of Grandma on her urn for the the living room, Marble is your best choice.. Just because their both black.. Sort-of.. Does not mean their equal..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Compass on Granite

Here is a sample of a granite cutting board.
    It is 12x12 inch blue granite

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Keep in mind folks, you can't compare marble to granite and vice versa, they are two totally different materials..

Marble does not need paint to brighten it, Granite may.. Depending on the photo.. The flecks in granite are usually quartz, and smaller is better.. You will 'always' get a more photographic representaion on Marble, it's the nature of the beast.. Marble being quite soft, is best for inside display. Granite is very hard, and will withstand the elements far better than marble. If you are doing something for outside use, granite is your best choice.. You want a nice picture of Grandma on her urn for the the living room, Marble is your best choice.. Just because their both black.. Sort-of.. Does not mean their equal..
    EXACTLY!!

Jerry, nice work

Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender