Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synrad's laser tube problem

New Pictures

Here are pictures of the laser and RF power supply (old=green circuit board and new=red circuit board)

I couldn't see any visual damage.
    That's too bad...

1) The "old" RF supply is different from the "new".
    In pictures "RF new 01.jpg" and "RF old 01.jpg" we can see that the "new" has a "code switch". I think that's why the combination of the "old" RF supply and the "new" tube didn't work.

2) The pictures "laser05.jpg" and "laser06.jpg" show some kind of a leak.
    This part is the screw between the circuit and the tube itself.

Well...
    This is it.

Thanks,
    Harrison
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Pictures

continue...

WOW..... There is a lot or RF going on in that set of boards..... WOW....

The Postage Stamp size chips were the most fun to replace at Sony.... Either use the big heating tool or a sharp blade and cut the leads off at the chip... Slip and you roll over the lead breaking off the solder pad....

YA... I need my FIX..... Nothing like the Smell of Solder Flux in the morning.....

Thanks for the GREAT Photos... In the old green board that white rectangular chip with the black and red resistor soldered over it, looks like a hard wired selection or mode switch.

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 08-22-2009 at 9:36 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    In the old green board that white rectangular chip with the black and red resistor soldered over it, looks like a hard wired selection or mode switch.
    I don't think I see what you see. I see two red crimp spade connectors connected to either a switch or a buzzer... left of that I see a heatsink connected to two (most likely) RF FETs.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I was looking at this chip and resistor thinking it was part of a mode selection hard wired.

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 08-23-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Blog Entries
    Ah... the red wires made the board look red to me, so I ignored it when looking for the white thing.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I know that's a very old thread but since nobody is answering my thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Pro-Spirit-GX) where I am asking for help with repaired by Synrad parts not working I have had to search through something similar.

Anyway, thank you Harrison for sharing photos with the tube open,
    Does anybody has any picture for the RF unit open and showing the wires for DB9 connector inside? Is it using the same white ribbon cable as in the tube?

Synrad suggests I have a bad connection for the interconnect cable or the cable itself is bad. I have tested the cable and it seems to be ok, now I need to be sure that Db9 ports on the tube and the RF unit are ok too. Since I have already put them both back into the machine and bolted to the frame I just want to know what kind of the cable runs to Db9 pins inside before I start taking the tube and the RF unit out for opening.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lysov View Post
    I know that's a very old thread but since nobody is answering my thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Pro-Spirit-GX) where I am asking for help with repaired by Synrad parts not working I have had to search through something similar.

Anyway, thank you Harrison for sharing photos with the tube open,
    Does anybody has any picture for the RF unit open and showing the wires for DB9 connector inside? Is it using the same white ribbon cable as in the tube?

Synrad suggests I have a bad connection for the interconnect cable or the cable itself is bad. I have tested the cable and it seems to be ok, now I need to be sure that Db9 ports on the tube and the RF unit are ok too. Since I have already put them both back into the machine and bolted to the frame I just want to know what kind of the cable runs to Db9 pins inside before I start taking the tube and the RF unit out for opening.
    Just because you don't get a answer does not mean nobody cares, its more than likely no one has that knowledge. It would be cheaper just to replace those suspect cables first before going any further. If they tested what they repaired, then something in your machine is the problem, and cables can go bad.

What You decide to do however is up to you. Sometimes people come on here and ask for advice and then get upset when it still does not work!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Just because you don't get a answer does not mean nobody cares, its more than likely no one has that knowledge. It would be cheaper just to replace those suspect cables first before going any further. If they tested what they repaired, then something in your machine is the problem, and cables can go bad.

What You decide to do however is up to you. Sometimes people come on here and ask for advice and then get upset when it still does not work!!
    Hi Bill, I did not mean "nobody cares" I was just hopping someone here would have a knowledge. It looks like nobody can help and I am on my own.

I have replaced the interconnect cable. Apparently it is just wired the same way as any 9 wire DB9 serial extension straight through cable. It did not help. The tube LEDs are OFF. I have removed the tube cover to see its DB9 port from the back. All pins seem to be good. Nothing looks blown. I removed the RF cover and I cannot see anything blown. Its DB9 port pins are hidden behind another cover inside so I have to put some effort to get it off to check the pins.

Synrad keeps saying it is that cable and also adds it may be because I have connected the tube to the RF via the interconnect cable while the power was supplied to the RF. I did not do it and I would not do it for safety issues. My machine was disconnected from a power outlet at the time I put everything back and connected all cables. Only after everything was connected I plugged it in and turn it on.

Basically an experienced guy with good knowledge in electronics and having a diagram should be able at least eliminate some faults quite quickly. I am not that guy but I can use a multimeter and if Synrad could point what to test I could probably find where it is.

The tube should get DC power from the RF via that cable and commands are sent via it as well. Voltage should be either 5V or 24V(it is not clear as Synrad manual is combined for different RFs and tubes. Since the LEDs on the tube are OFF completelly there must be no power coming to them(possible no commands coming as well). I am trying to get details from Synrad about how to check that power but I have no luck by now.

My understanding that this train(the RF and the tube) can be used standalone if you add a 30V power supply. No laser machine and its electronic is required to run them for just a test firing(you need some device to send commands). If I am right I can eliminate any fault in GCC Laser Pro electronics. GCC LaserPro power supply seems to have no problems and supplies 30V to the RF.

I am in Australia, so it is not easy for me to get all cables replaced. I would try to order them later but at this point I am just not happy that after significant spending on Synrad repair nothing works. It seems to be even worse than before repair as the tube was working firing from time to time but now nothing work at all.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)