Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet vs Grizzly

Question Jet vs Grizzly

I am going to buy a new 10" table saw. I have always understood that the same factory makes Jet, Grizzly, Powermatic, and General. does anyone know if this is true, and why the price difference if it is true. Thanks, in advance.
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

Jet vs. Grizzly

Jim,

Last I heard Powermatic saws were still made in the US. One line of General is made in Canada and one line, I believe in Taiwan. Jet and Grizzly are possibly made in the same factory, however, just because they are made in the same plant does not necessarily mean they are equal. I'm not saying one is better than the other.

Bob

I'm sure that the same factory doesn't make all the tools sold by these vendors. Some tools are made in Taiwan and others are made on mainland China. I believe that some tools are made by the same factory, but that doesn't mean they are made to the same specs. Delta and Jet have company reps in Asia that monitor the manufacturing of their tools. Also, Jet and Delta use American motors in most of their tools. I have Delta, Grizzly and Jet tools in my shop and the fit and finish of the Grizzly is inferior to that of the Delta and Jet tools. However, I have never had a problem with the operation of any Delta, Jet or Grizzly tool.
    Dennis

Jim,

You didn't say whether you were in the market for a contractor's or a cabinet saw. From what I've read the contractor's saws from the major brands, Jet, Powermatic, Delta are probably more similar in quality and manufacture than are their equivalents in the cabinet saw lines. Most of the comments and reviews I have read saw the the Grizzly 1023 line is the most bang for the buck in the general contractor's saw price range. The do say that it's better to run it on 230 than 115 though. The three factors that seem to control most folks decisions contractor's vs. cabinet are price, voltage and space. The Grizzly 1023 line seems to have been designed with those three factors in mind.

Jim Izat

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

No

Jim --- I am sure Grizzley and Jet are not made in the same factory. If you are considering a new TS --- I highly recommend a Jet

IMHO i would get the General. I think you would be more than satisfied with this piece of equipment.

Cabinet saw

Thanks for the responses, I still don't know what I plan to do, but Ken I will give Rick Warren a call, isnt' he in Nashville?
    I have a local dealer who will sell to me a close to his cost, but that doesn't mean he can buy it as cheap as someone who deals a lot in Jet. I know what Grizzly is and I like my planer, but just wanted to get another opinion.
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Re: Cabinet saw

Originally posted by Jim Fuller
    Thanks for the responses, I still don't know what I plan to do, but Ken I will give Rick Warren a call, isnt' he in Nashville?
    I have a local dealer who will sell to me a close to his cost, but that doesn't mean he can buy it as cheap as someone who deals a lot in Jet. I know what Grizzly is and I like my planer, but just wanted to get another opinion.
    Yes Jim they are in Nashville.

Jim,
    I can't make an honest comparison between Grizzly 1023S and other saws such as the Powermatic 66, etc., but Iv'e been more than satified with my 1023S. Then again, all I had before to compare to was a Ryobi BT3000 (not much saw for the avid woodworker). Yes I would buy it again and without hesitation recommend it to others.

Grizzly 1023 line is the most bang for the buck in the general contractor's saw price range. The do say that it's better to run it on 230 than 115 though.

Jim I'm sure you know that these saws mostly are 220v only cabinet saws & your right they are in the same price range.

The reason the price range is so different is Grizzly is a direct seller of their equipment no middle man.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Jet vs Grizzly

I have Jet, Powermatic and Grizzly tools. I have been happy with all of them. But, I would go with jet girst if you can find a good deal.

Jet vs Grizzly

Jim, I had a Grizzly G1023S cabinet saw and it worked fine. It had a few small problems, but nothing major. I replaced it with a Left Tilt Jet JTAS-10XL. In general, I think Jet makes some of the best tools around for the price. They have excellent fit and finish and their customer support is as good as it gets.

IMHO
    Bart
    Measure Once, Cut twice, Curse@#$, Buy More Lumber!

Smile

Jim,

I have the Grizzly 1023SL and love it. It does anything I ask of it with no problems. When I got it, it set-up perfect right out of the crate. I don't see a thing wrong with the fit and finish with this saw. After looking at the other saws at the local woodworking store, I would put the Grizzly 1023SL up against any one of them for fit and finish (well maybe not the powermatic, got to love that surface finish they have).

I have been buying Grizzly for about 9 years now and have had nothing but great service from them whenever I called them. If you are ever in the Knoxville area, you are welcome to stop by and take a look and get some hands on if you would like.

Good luck with whatever saw you get.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I've had a 1023S for 3 years now. Set it up and have used it ever since. Haven't made a single adjustment since the original setup. I can't see spending $400 or so more for anything else. Save the money and buy a router and lift or a 1 1/2 HP shaper with the money that you saved.

Ron

Paul Kunkel Guest

I agree 100% with Ron

Originally posted by Ron Meadows
    I've had a 1023S for 3 years now. Set it up and have used it ever since. Haven't made a single adjustment since the original setup. I can't see spending $400 or so more for anything else. Save the money and buy a router and lift or a 1 1/2 HP shaper with the money that you saved.

Ron
    My 1023 is 13 yrs old now and I would only buy another if I needed two! Which I'm thinking of
    Attached Images Attached Images