Thread: Byrd Shelix on Steel City planer?

Byrd Shelix on Steel City planer?

Can I put a Shelix on the Steel city planer? Will It use the standard head?

2. Steel City planer

I own a 15" SC planer and wondered the same thing, so I called them. I was told they are coming out with their own variation this year, so you may want to just give them a call. I believe the head size is the same as the Grizzly and several others. I've not gotten one yet for mine.
    Steven

How do you like the Steel City planer? Any dislikes?

Has anyone switched out a SC head for a Byrd?

I also own a SC 15" planer and like Steven, called the company and asked about a Shelix head for it and was told that they may come out with one in 2008. The tech said that if even if I added an aftermarket one now it would void the warranty. I'd wait for one from the company for now. And yes, I do like the planer. I assume that if enough people contacted the company asking for one it might help expedite their decision.

anyone ????

i spoke with steel city today and they said their spiral cutterhead will come out in june 2008.

Blog Entries
    I asked them about one for their parallagram jointer. They gave me the same response. While it was in December at the Detroit woodworking show, they were telling me pricetag of over $600 for the head alone on the jointer. While they may come up with a good head, I DOUBT that it will be better than a byrd and based on their price structure it will be more $$ than a byrd.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a fan of their products and have their bandsaw and drill press. Having looked really close at their jointer (other than paint, no discernable difference from my grizz 0490) and there isnt much different that I have seen on their planer from a delta that was in stock at a local tool retailer. Both of these products have changed very little in design over the past 20 or so years. Voiding the warranty for a head? Being held "hostage" to only buy their accessories? Pure BS. Call Byrd and ask them what would fit, IRC... there have been posts on woodnet about their installation on planers.

I agree, pure BS. FYI, i saw a post by Nancy Laird and she put a Byrd on her's without difficulty.

Any update on this , has someone bought the spiral head cutter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Gerard View Post
    Any update on this , has someone bought the spiral head cutter ?
    I guess maybe I might not be the only person looking at the one listed on Philly Craigslist.

The SC machines use common heads, nothing special about them. As far as voiding the warranty, can't speak to that. Other companies in the US tried copying Byrd but they just can't compete on price, don't have the volume.