Thread: Tool Review, Grizz G0609, 12" Jointer (long)

Tool Review, Grizz G0609, 12" Jointer (long)

First let me state I have no affiliation with Grizzly in any way, except for the fact that the planer is the 3rd major tool I have purchased from them.

The order was placed through their technical service organization on Monday morning. I had a question on whether a mobile base would fit. The customer service person immediately transferred me to the technical service team, who answered my question (it was no) and then took my order. I ordered lift gate service.

The trucking company called on Tuesday to set up a delivery schedule. I was not able to be home so the trucking company held the jointer until Friday. They called an hour before the delivery as requested. The unloading of the machine was uneventful except for the size of the crate. The driver wheeled it into the shop for me. I gave him a $20 tip for his extra effort.

Grizzly warned me when I placed the order that if the crate was damaged in any way I was to note in on the shipping documentation. Upon inspection the crate was badly crushed. In fact one end of the crate was totally missing, the top was crushed inwards and the front was smashed. Much to the discomfort of the driver, I noted the crate damage on the documentation.

The driver immediately called his company and that led to 2 return visits to the shop and questions by the driver. The driver even offered to stay and help me unpack the machine to inspect for hidden damage but I declined. At the time I was not able to unpack the machine due to work commitments.

Later that afternoon I did unpack the jointer. The only damage appeared to be the cutter head guard was badly scuffed and slightly bent. I called Grizzly and they are sending me a replacement.

After moving the jointer (all 800+ lbs. of it) into the proper location I cleaned the cosmoline off the jointer, put it together and connected the power. The machine started immediately but was not jointing properly.

A retired friend of mine has a degree in mechanical engineering. He has designed, built, installed, and serviced high accuracy machines all his working life. He brought over a 48 inch reference straightedge and he adjusted the machine. He ended up resetting the limit stops on the outfeed table to allow enough travel to align with the knives. He also ended up resetting the outfeed table parallelism with the infeed table.

When done I was able to joint 6 foot long ash boards so that there was absolutely no gap between the edges. While I had the straightedge he also checked the tables and fence and found them to be absolutely flat and straight.

The only issue I have with the machine is the way the fence moves across the table. The fence is designed to ride on the outfeed table. So I have a metal to metal surface. The fence is actually digging a grove across the outfeed table parallel to the knives. I called Grizzly technical services on this and they told me that some of these jointers have a pad to prevent these scratches. However the technical help could not provide this pad.

I tried to glue a small pad on the bottom of the fence but the edge of the fence that rides on the table is too small to hold the pad. In my opinion this is a design flaw that needs to be corrected.

Except for this fence issue I so far am pleased with the jointer. I used it extensively last weekend and it is doing what I wanted it to do.
    Wood'N'Scout

Steve,

Thank you for your very timely review. I will be receiving my G0609 tomorrow evening. One question, can you tell how difficult it would be to remove the infeed and outfeed tables? The parts illustrations were not very helpful. I need to disassemble my jointer to carry it into the basement.

Thanks,
    George

Steve, thanks for the great review? Any chance for a few pictures??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Steve,
    Congrats on the new machine. Did you get the spiral head?? I ordered mine in Sept and they suggested delivery will be after the first of the year. I assume the spiral makes the delivery difference. Thanks,John

Blog Entries
    Great review and appreciated. Maybe they would send you a replacement fence that just happens to have the pad on it???
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cool

Thanks for the review. I have the Grizzly G0490 jointer. It worked great right out of the crate.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I haven't figure out how to post pictures yet. In fact I am waiting until I can get ahead of the projects enough to clean up the shop and post pictures of all the tools. I need to retire so I can work full time in the shop just to get all of the woodworking projects done.

Don't I wish!

Anyway on to the other questions.

No I don't know how to take the tables off. Sorry, we just adjusted them to be parallel. However, I did figure out the both ends seem to use the same or similiar mechanism's. It appears the stops are set differently. Maybe if you call the Grizzly technical center they can give you some advice.

I did ask about getting the pad that goes under the fence. The tech told me that they didn't specify it so they don't have a part number or know which machine will get the pad. Heck of a way to design a machine. This to me is the biggest issue with the jointer.

No I didn't get the spiral blades. I had a hard time justifying the extra $600. Now when I read about your delivery issue I am glad I didn't order the spiral blades. Also I figured for about the same price I can order and install a Byrd head anytime I feel like coughing up that kind of money.
    Wood'N'Scout

John,
    You're in Seattle, Steve's in Illinois. That's where the delivery difference comes into play. His machine likely shipped from the Penn. wharehouse, yours from the Bellingham store. The byrd head should ship seperately from the machine - so it shouldn't hold up it's delivery.
    Lee

Actually my machine was shipped from Missouri.
    Wood'N'Scout

I have an 8" ShopFox jointer and I too was concerned about the fence dragging across the outfeed bed. On my jointer, there is a "nub" at the bottom of the fence, which is a few inches long, that rides on the bed.

Someone here on SMC suggested appying a piece of High Moleculor Density (HMD) tape to the bottom of the nub. This worked great! It's really slick stuff and, so far, it has stayed stuck to the fence just fine. You might try using the HMD tape since Grizzly doesn't seem to be able to cough up the factory skid pad.

I have the same machine and same problem. Where can I find HMD tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I have an 8" ShopFox jointer and I too was concerned about the fence dragging across the outfeed bed. On my jointer, there is a "nub" at the bottom of the fence, which is a few inches long, that rides on the bed.

Someone here on SMC suggested appying a piece of High Moleculor Density (HMD) tape to the bottom of the nub. This worked great! It's really slick stuff and, so far, it has stayed stuck to the fence just fine. You might try using the HMD tape since Grizzly doesn't seem to be able to cough up the factory skid pad.

I got a roll from McMaster. I tried the same thing but the edge of the fence is so narrow there is nothing for the tape to stick to.
    Wood'N'Scout

^^ Bummer, Steve. I guess your fence is different than mine.

FYI, I got the HMD tape at my local Woodcraft. It was kind of expensive for just a small roll of tape, but that stuff works very well.