Thread: My Grizzly G0490 Experience!

My Grizzly G0490 Experience!

About 3 months ago I decided to purchase a grizzly 8" jointer and went with the with Parallelogram Beds. The price was great shipping went well other than the front panel being scraped and dented which grizzly quickly replaced. a month passed before I had time to do a complete set up and test at which time I noticed that the fence was slightly warped so I called grizzly and they sent a replacement out with no questions. The fence came straight off the boat still in crate with no height scale and warning labels but that was fine with me. I set this one up and it to had a slight warp. Better than the first one but still a little warped and I'm talking .04mm. So I called grizzly and they sent another one out and apologized profusely and promised to have someone check this one and make sure the height scale and labels were on there. This one was in good condition with everything being flat and having all the labels. So after all this grizzly has made a customer for life the customer service people were all very nice and the tech staff was extremely helpful. And the tools are great too! I've seen the delta, Steel City, and some of the other higher priced Parallelogram jointers and they are the exact same machines other than the switch. This machine is solid big cutter head and great features, it's a joy to use. Grizzly is a model for how all other companies should be run great prices, quality tools, and great customer service. In the pics you'll see the grizzly 15" planer I found on graigslist still in the shipping crate brand new for 500 bucks and the only reason I bought it was because of my experience with Grizzly and it had decent reviews!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

It's really nice when a tool maker makes the fixes so easy. Some of the other manufacturers need to take some lessons from Shiraz.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Blog Entries
    Congrats and glad they took care of you. As far as the planer; that is way to good of a deal. To protect you from the 'good-deal' cops I am willing to take possesion of the planer thereby protecting a fellow WW'er. ;-)) Enjoy your new tools!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ya I lucked out on the planer i wanted a steel city or grizzly 20" with solid infeed and out feed tables but the deal was too good and I don't regret it at all!
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

James, I appreciate the post. After I read it I went out and checked the fence on my G0490.Though I checked it when I got the jointer I thought I better check it again to make sure. Fortunately it's straight. I'm really enjoying my G0490 and am glad I bought it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I have a lunch box planer that ended up with a bad gear and grizzly replaced the whole machine no questioned asked, even after I told them the warranty was up a month ago. After that I always will be a supporter of them.

James, I have a question about the flatness of the first replacement fence you received. You stated it was out by .04mm. That's only one and a half thousanths of an inch (.0015"). Did Grizzly say that that was not good enough? That's not much of a problem for a fence. If mine was that good I wouldn't even call them about it. Mine was out of flat by ten thousanths (.010"). They didn't tell me what was acceptable, just that mine was out of spec. and they would replace it.

Good to hear (again) that Grizzly customer service is great!

Jim

Same here

Unfortunately pretty much everything I have bought from them comes with some defect. They are great at replacing/repairing anything with no questions asked. So for me as a hobbiest with out a ton of cash to spend, in the long run I get a great tool for the price. It would be nice if one of my purchases came ready to go though
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett