Thread: Makita 3612BR router

Makita 3612BR router

This has been a good router since the 80's when I bought it. The plunge action is not very good though...its kinda stiff. i need smooth. Should I lubricate with something? if so, what? Since this tool is no longer made I'm hesitant to start taking it apart to thoroughly clean it because if I need a part it may not be available.
    any help will be appreciated.

I have one of these, too

Bought it because I saw it in one of Tage Frid's articles from way back when. I think I've had it since maybe 84 or so. It is a real work horse. I have only one router and this is it. The only thing I've ever needed to do to it is replace the cord. Oh yeah, I do take the base apart and clean out the posts and spring recesses. It is easy to do.

There are not many parts in there, only the posts and springs.

I've lubricated the posts with either graphite or spray Teflon. Both work well. The spray Teflon works better if you apply it when the router is warm. IOW, if your shop is cold, bring the router into the house and let it warm up before spraying it. Once you lubricated it, you'll find that the base literally snaps back.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Cohen View Post
    This has been a good router since the 80's when I bought it. The plunge action is not very good though...its kinda stiff. i need smooth. Should I lubricate with something? if so, what? Since this tool is no longer made I'm hesitant to start taking it apart to thoroughly clean it because if I need a part it may not be available.
    any help will be appreciated.
    Hi Randy; I live in the town (Whitby ON Canada) where your router may have come from. I have 2 3612C's in LV tables and they are workhorses.

Take it all apart, the plunge etc. real easy to do. There will be no new parts necessary for the plunge action. It just requires a good cleaning to get the sawdust crud out of the way! If you think you need new parts the only thing they could be would be the springs. Msg me your addy and I'll see that you get them. I have connections in Makita!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

thanks guys...it was easier to do than posting about it was. smooth as silk.