Thread: New compressor advice

New compressor advice

I have been using a portable compressor for some years and have decicded to upgrade. I am looking at a 2hp from Home Depot in their Husky line. 135 psi, 6.5 scfm @40, 5.5 scfm @ 90psi. It will be located in a storage building behind my shop approx 10 feet away. I am going to use 3/4 copper to pipe the air to the shop. I am going to leave it @ 115 volts so I can move it to use for other purposes occasionally. I would like to be able to do spray finishes on some of my projects and am curious will this be sufficient.

Thanks
    Curtis

The answer to your queston will depend a lot upon the gun you choose. I use a Wagner HVLP conversion gun that would probably work well with that compressor.

Air distribution

Curtis,

As long as the spray gun or other tool you plan to connect has a rated air consumption that is a lower CFM than the compressor, all is good.
    I located my compressor outside also. Less noise and no ignition source when spraying a lacquer finish in the shop and less hose tangled up on the floor. Don't forget you need access to the tank drain valve on the compressor or to connect a drain line with a valve that is easy to reach. A few things to consider: 1. Condensation in the piping system. Install the distribution piping with a little slope to a low point drain. 2. Install a moisture and oil extractor on your connection point for your hose to the spray gun. 3. If you use a oil injector for any other tools, be sure an never mix the hoses between oiled tools and the finish spray gun.

No problem with the location. Be sure you have a dedicated 20a 120v circuit for the machine in your closet, however. Ditto on the advise about the spray gun. And don't forget you need to configure moisture filtration as well as provide for a way to drain any condensate out of the lines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

to be honest, 4.0cfm at 90psi is pretty weak...

look into dewalt d55168 for $360 at hd or lowes or this PC 2 cylinder one, i've seen it as low as $250 on amazon, sometimes its at $280...

PC's got 5.1 at 90psi and dewalt's got 5.4...

Rob Will Guest
    Curtis,
    I would look for a bit heavier compressor. In fact, you might even do a web search for "CURTIS" air compressors. I think they make something similar to what you are looking for. I was amazed that I could buy an American made compressor with a Baldor motor for just a little more money.

http://www.curtistoledo.com/Home

http://www.curtistoledo.com/Curtis_P...cal_Data_Sheet

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Will; 11-25-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Simpler View Post
    I have been using a portable compressor for some years and have decicded to upgrade. I am looking at a 2hp from Home Depot in their Husky line. 135 psi, 6.5 scfm @40, 5.5 scfm @ 90psi. It will be located in a storage building behind my shop approx 10 feet away. I am going to use 3/4 copper to pipe the air to the shop. I am going to leave it @ 115 volts so I can move it to use for other purposes occasionally. I would like to be able to do spray finishes on some of my projects and am curious will this be sufficient.

Thanks
    Curtis
    You did not mention the size of the receiver tank you are going to use. The larger the receiver tank, the less critical the match between consumption rate and supply capability - provided of course you are willing to wait on the tank to recharge periodically. SCFM is Standard Cubic Feet per Minute, so if you have a large tank, you can use a lot of air at 40 psi before the compressor even kicks in at say 90psi , then even if the compressor will not keep up with your usage at 40 psi, a short wait until the tank is back to 135psi, and you are good to go again. If you only use that much volume occasionally, a larger tank might be more cost effective than a larger compressor.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

compressor advice

Curtis, a small bit of advice here, so take it for what it's worth. If you are seriously looking at upgrading to a larger compressor, I think that you should only consider one that is as large and powerful as you can afford.
    The bigger the motor and tank will make a big difference in the long run.
    I would not even consider one that is an "oil free" type compressor, most of them won't last too many years, and when they wear out, they aren't worth rebuilding. I have an old model Ingersol-Rand 30-T cast iron twin cylinder compressor on a 60 or 80 gallon tank that is well over 50 years old and still running stong! The moral to this is.....buy a good unit for the money and cry once, buy cheap and keep on crying! Jim Heffner