Thread: DC Closet Followup

DC Closet Followup

Several folks asked that I followup on the effectiveness of the DC closet I recently built to contain noise. In one word..."Incredible". The motor/blower is almost "silent" from the shop and the only real noise is from the open gate...that level varies with the type, size and configuration of the hood, etc.

The construction is 2"x4" studs, filled with fiberglass batts and covered with pegboard (rough side exposed) on the inside and pine plywood paneling on the outside. The areas between the joists were filled with fiberglass batts sandwiched between 1/2" homasote. ('Cause I had it available from the old DC closet walls) The air return is baffled with a complete reversal in direction to eliminate any direct sound transmission and openings are sealed. If anyone is considering building a closet for their dust collection system and compressor, this design is worthy of your consideration.

The pics have been posted before, but I'm including them for anyone who missed the previous threads. The first shows the finished closet from the outside and the second shows the pegboard on the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Question Sorry Jim,

Sorry Jim,
    No Knowledge of acoustical engineering. Is the pegboard to reduce reflections or is the closet going to double as storage??
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Is the pegboard to reduce reflections or is the closet going to double as storage??
    The pegboard, both from the rough surface and the perforations reduces reflections of mid to high frequencies. Further, the perforations allow the fiberglass to work somewhat as a "bass trap". There is noticeably no "rumble" with this setup as there was with the older DC closet without insulation, etc.

As to storage...there are some items that are hiding in the corners, like extra fluorescent bulbs, the mobile base for the lathe in case I ever need to move it, etc., but generally no meaningful storage. This space is for the cyclone, the compressor and the electrical panel. Oh, yea...I propped my "POS" HFT pipe clamps in one corner just in case I even need to use them and have a hammer available to make adjustments... But I have plenty of K-Bodies and rarely need to use those HFT things!
    --

Jim, what are the inside dimensions of your DC closet? How big would it have to be without your air compressor in there and still provide maintence room?

Also, do you have a grill covering the baffled air return exit? If so, why?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson
    Jim, what are the inside dimensions of your DC closet? How big would it have to be without your air compressor in there and still provide maintenance room?
    My closet is 4' wide and 8' long. I'm going to guess that for the cyclone and external filter it would have to be five feet wide to be "comfortable"

Also, do you have a grill covering the baffled air return exit? If so, why?
    Because I had some hardware cloth lying around and it just looks nice. Not necessary, of course.
    --

Okay, that is it! Customer or no customer, you are going to have to come to my place and help me hang mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ducharme
    Okay, that is it! Customer or no customer, you are going to have to come to my place and help me hang mine.
    Trust me, if there is any way I can pull it off logistically, I will. I'll have your phone numbers with me and will call if I get enough free time for a visit.
    --

Sheesh Jim, your cyclone "closet" is the size of my entire shop

Nice job on it though.
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson